Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do quilt shows inspire you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-quilt-shows-inspire-you-t181231.html)

SouthPStitches 03-01-2012 01:59 PM

I don't go to quilt shows often. I enjoy seeing other quilters' work, but it helps bring home the fact that I like what I like as far as what I make. Designs, colors and fads come and go but few quilts are timeless.

Yellow Bird 03-01-2012 02:10 PM

I went to my first quilt show last week. I was inspired. I was also pleased to see that the quilts on display didn't have any better skill that what I can do. Some even had problems I would not have shared outside my sewing room.

I had never heard of 'bed turning' so that was educational. Some of the quilt tops that had been rescued from the dumpster were awe inspiring.

So - I'm now looking forward to next year and maybe entering some of my work. I may even join the local quilt guild.

I didn't buy anything, although one of the fabric vendors had nice fabric at rates less than everywhere else I've looked.

ube quilting 03-01-2012 02:19 PM

am going to my third show this weekend, in NJ. I love to see the quilts. I don't even go through the vendor area cause it is all the same stuff over and over except for Quilting Threads. I love their assortment of pantos. I also like to look at any book sellers. I am a book taught quilter and love creativity in books. I can't afford to take classes with all these great people. Having a book will teach and inspire me for a long time.

Being with loved ones and friends is more important than any quilt show but it is a nice way to spend time together.
peace

Jackie Spencer 03-01-2012 05:02 PM

I love to go to the AQS in Paducah, its about a 4 hour drive from where I live, but with gas prices the way they are I don't think I'll be going this year. I always come home very inspired and with lots of fresh new ideas. I always go to Eleanore Burns shop while there, also. I will miss going this year.

TexasSunshine 03-01-2012 06:09 PM

I am looking forward to the Dallas show. We are planning on going to it. For those in the NE Texas area, Tyler has a quilt show coming up later this month. It is a small show but very nice.

QandE2010 03-01-2012 07:02 PM

Do what your heart and pocket book tell you to do. Once you make the decision to go, or not to go, don't look back.

sylviak 03-01-2012 07:38 PM

I'm going to the Dallas show next week. A bunch of us from Durant, Denison,TX and Sherman TX rent a bus and just go down for the day on Friday. Yeah, it wears me out, but I'm looking at embroidery machines this year, so that will make it fun. I understand the lectures are all free this year, so if I get tired I can always sit and listen to somebody talk. I enjoy looking at the quilts and telling myself, "Oh, I could do that!" or "WOW! How did they ever do that??". I don't usually buy much, but I enjoy looking at all the new gadgets.

Dolphyngyrl 03-01-2012 07:43 PM

I only go to one a year and really look forward to it. I was not impressed with the selection at the vendors this year for some reason. i only purchased from a few, and it was mostly for my class

Quiltaddict 03-01-2012 07:47 PM

I love going to the smaller local shows as they feature my kind of quilts, traditional patchwork, mostly. I have found the big shows like Road to California, Long Beach, etc., feature mostly "art" quilts. They are interesting but nothing I would ever try to do myself. Also, the small shows don't have a lot of vendors, sometimes none, so I'm not too tempted to spend my money.

Lavada 03-02-2012 04:36 AM

NO i do not go to shows as we have a mennotite relief sale every year here and quilts are so overpriced