Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do quilters save all scraps! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-quilters-save-all-scraps-t124824.html)

749janet 05-21-2011 08:36 PM

I am attempting to make a postage stamp quilt. I am cutting my squares at 1-1/2" square and using up my material scraps to do it. I have heard from this board that some quilters don't throw away any of their scraps. I'm not planning on making anything smaller than the 1-1/2" squares, so what do I do with the leftovers? I am also thinking about making some quilted potholders later on and was wondering if I could use the real tiny pieces as filler for the potholders? Suggestions as to what to do with teeny weeny material pieces?

cjomomma 05-21-2011 08:41 PM

You could use them for pet beds. I heard others say that they put them outside for birds to use in nests.
I don't save the tiny pieces myself.

Rose L 05-21-2011 08:49 PM

1 1/2" is as small as I go. I toss the rest or throw it out for the birds to make their nests with. If I need a tiny piece for applique in some project I don't feel badly about cutting a snippet off of a larger piece of fabric.

I'm working on cutting all of my scraps into 1 1/2" blocks right now myself and also have some HST that size that I've made for my postage stamp quilt. Once this one is done, I doubt I'll save anything smaller than 2 1/2".

yellowsnow55 05-21-2011 08:54 PM

Some people do confetti quilts with them. I've never done one, but I do save all scraps and one day Maybe I'll use them.

cjtinkle 05-22-2011 02:49 AM

1-1/2 inches is about as small as I save too. I'm not much of a scrap quilter either, but I can't make myself throw these away.

alikat110 05-22-2011 02:56 AM

I usually don't keep very small pieces.

Vickymomof6 05-22-2011 02:58 AM

I guess I'm wasteful but if it's smaller then a 2 1/2 square I no longer save it.
I used to save it all but I just spend 12 dollars to sent my scraps on a PIF.
Vicky

ckcowl 05-22-2011 03:09 AM

what i do not save i pass on to someone else who can use them-
there seems to always be someone in need who wants even really small pieces-
people who work/volunteer at humane society facilities will use even strings/salvage edges/frayed edges- they use them to stuff pet beds. also, scouts, 4-H groups and art departments are all usually looking for (freeby's) to use for projects.

ptquilts 05-22-2011 03:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
what DH does not use qualifies as lint . Here is a closeup of the tiny piece quilts he makes.

PaperPrincess 05-22-2011 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
what DH does not use qualifies as lint . Here is a closeup of the tiny piece quilts he makes.

Whoa!!!! Just amazing!
I have a bag of 100% cotton snippets. I read that you can add them to compost piles, so I'm going to use them to mulch around a couple of my perennials, because it FINALLY STOPPED RAINING!!!!! I'll let you know how that goes.