Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you applique your top to the batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-applique-your-top-batting-t269851.html)

margiepc 09-10-2015 04:31 PM

Do you applique your top to the batting

I am attempting to do an appliqued table runner. I have the pieces all set to sew on, but am not sure of how to do it. Do I sew the pieces just to the top. sew the top and the batting together, or sew the top, batting and back together? Any help would be appreciated

kathy 09-10-2015 04:33 PM

normally you applique your piece to the top only, then layer and quilt

Peckish 09-10-2015 04:49 PM

Usually applique is sewn onto the background fabric first, and some people like to cut away the excess background fabric. Personal choice.

However. You CAN sew and quilt the applique at the same time, there is no rule against that. Again - personal choice.

thimblebug6000 09-10-2015 04:52 PM

The method of attaching fusible appliqué and quilting it down at the same time is usually called appliquilt and I have used it on runners and wallhangings but not quilts.

dunster 09-10-2015 06:21 PM

I just finished quilting a wall hanging for a friend. She gave me a pieced top and back, I quilted with batting, and then she is going to add the applique. Her applique pieces are double fabric with fusible in between the layers, and she will either glue them down or do minimal stitching. I haven't heard of doing this before, but my friend does beautiful, meticulous work on everything she does, so I'm sure it will come out stunning.

Bree123 09-10-2015 09:05 PM

Unless I am doing trapunto, I just sew the applique onto the quilt top. After I finish all my applique, then I will layer batting & backing underneath and quilt. I think that is the easiest method for beginners, depending on your applique & quilting methods. I would also suggest cutting your background fabric slightly larger than what you need (1/2" or so) since applique can draw up some of the fabric causing it to slightly "shrink". I have learned to cut my fabric 1" extra around my background square, applique on my design & then trim to size before piecing, layering and quilting.

Feel free to keep posting questions as you go along.

earthwalker 09-10-2015 09:54 PM

All good advice, Bree123 raises a good point with the 'cutting it a bit larger advice'. When you get to the quilting bit, remember not to quilt over your applique, just work around it, so it will 'showcase' it. Happy stitching.

P-BurgKay 09-11-2015 01:56 AM

I am a hand quilter, I do all of my quilting, then I do my needle turn applique. This is how I prefer to do it. It is a little harder, but it works for me.

ManiacQuilter2 09-11-2015 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by kathy (Post 7313561)
normally you applique your piece to the top only, then layer and quilt

Yes, this is the way I do my applique. I do machine applique using a buttonhole stitch and wouldn't want that stitching to be on the back.

Onebyone 09-11-2015 04:08 AM

Try it the way you want to do it and if it doesn't suit you then you know to try another way next time. There is no right or wrong way at all. My aunt appliqued block pieces to the quilt top in a frame going all the way to the backing with her stitches.