Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You Baste Blocks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-baste-blocks-t232117.html)

bearisgray 10-10-2013 08:07 AM

The only intersections I've basted were where the seams were pressed open - and there were twelve seams at the junction. Even with basting - the joins weren't perfect - but there was a lot less slippage doing that than if I had not basted at all.

I usually do not baste blocks together, though. I do mark borders and sashing so that things line up as I want them to, and pin them.

charsuewilson 10-10-2013 12:24 PM

I don't normally baste, unless the machine is accidentally left on a long stitch. I pin only where necessary. I normally just sew unsew when it didn't work right.

ube quilting 10-10-2013 12:37 PM

I have basted blocks together, those with multiple seams and also PPed blocks where there is a lot of bias edges. Sometimes that extra care makes or breaks a pattern. With all the work that goes into building a quilt and if you really like those perfect intersections then basting or gluing or pinning all work towards that goal.

What ever works for you is what you want to do.

I want to try the glue. I watched S. shambers video on how to do it and looks like a good tip.

Retired Fire Chief 10-11-2013 02:55 AM

I was pinning while making the blocks for the farmers wife quilt blocks but found when putting so many small pieces together can creating so many seams, pinning moves the fabric a smidge and that was throwing some of my seams or points off enough to make me quite frustrated. I had the bright idea to use my small red clips that are used for holding binding and had much better results with matching my points. The fabric doesn't move when you use the clips, you can put the tips of the clips right where your seam will be so you can fold your pieces open to make sure they are right were you want them and the clips are flat on the bottom so you can sew right up to the edge of the clip before you have to remove them. I love them and no longer pin when I am piecing.

coopah 10-11-2013 04:03 AM

I pin if there are lots of seams. I used glue...very, very sparingly, but the machine didn't like it and the timing was affected. Trip to the shop. If you use glue, the recommendation I had was to use a titanium needle.

lizzy 10-11-2013 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]440674[/ATTACH]JJust practing inserting pictures. I have a new computer with Windows 8 and this is a trial run. Not a very good photo. Will paste better ones if this works. Lizzy
I did this as raw edge applique. Sorry it is in the wrong place. I will try to put pictures in pictures from now on. :(

oldquilter 10-11-2013 04:20 AM

I am with the pin it crowd. Faster for me. I do place a pin vertically at intersections, keeps the seam from rolling as you sew. Just sew up to it and remove.

lclang 10-11-2013 04:53 AM

No basting ever!

carolynjo 10-11-2013 07:08 AM

As a new quilter in the 80's, I basted every seam. I don't do that now; just pin at critical junctions.

Snooze2978 10-11-2013 08:10 AM

I have started using Elmer's Glue when I have seams that need to match. Pins seem to distort for me. Plus I'm always forgetting to bring the tin of pins to the sewing machine with me so I can take the pins out as I sew. Just lazy.