Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you belong to a quilt guild? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-belong-quilt-guild-t42089.html)

Zoe 04-16-2010 06:19 AM

I think you and Moosegirl have been fortunate in the groups you've met. I've heard that "one must jump in and chair committees, become pro-active, make the changes from within, etc." This doesn't always work, but you are so right to keep attending for all the decent folks you meet.

Most guilds are indeed open and inviting to new and (here's the catch) beginning quilters. There are some that are not. It's as simple as that. The definition of a guild is a group with specialized talents, one where a prospective member had to serve an apprenticeship in order to hone her/his skills. Guilds of years past were exclusive and wanted to keep it that way.

I remember years ago when I timidly approached the membership table for a guild. I mentioned that I was a quilter who wanted to learn new techniques. They asked me if I were a beginner, because they really did not want nor did they have the time to teach new quilters. I stared at them incredulously, unable to understand why they (or these particular women) had that attitude. I asked them "wouldn't you want to foster the love of quilting with beginners; isn't that one of the purposes of a guild?" These unfriendly ladies had such an embarrassed look that I realized I had made my point. I walked away from them, but I followed up with a letter describing this incident to the head of their guild who, of course, personally invited me to join.

As always seems to happen with me (and I believe a sign from a just God), two other guild presidents in our state went out of their way to invite me to join their groups. Sometimes, you have to stand up to the "bitch factor" and pettiness that can give a distorted picture of a group.

Just another view of what's good and bad about guilt guilds.

Julie in NM 04-16-2010 06:58 AM

Raptureready.
I just love the quilt you have pictured. Can you share the name of the pattern? Is it from a mag or separate pattern that I can buy? Thanks for the help.

craftybear 05-29-2010 09:13 AM

you could get other quilters and just start a quilt sew day, don't have to worry about meetings etc. just have fun sewing!

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
WHAT?!? Is this possible? Can they do that? It sounds like discrimination to me. I can relate tho. I tried to join a local group and was turned down flat. Not to mention they were quite rude about it in the process. Maybe I should try to start my own little informal group. Hmmmm? That's an idea. I'll have to do some research.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I belong to my statewide guild and it is wonderful. They are so much fun to be around, I love going to guild meetings and look forward to it each month.

I don't belong to my local county guild, however, since they don't allow men to join. :roll:

Eddie 05-29-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
you could get other quilters and just start a quilt sew day, don't have to worry about meetings etc. just have fun sewing!

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
WHAT?!? Is this possible? Can they do that? It sounds like discrimination to me. I can relate tho. I tried to join a local group and was turned down flat. Not to mention they were quite rude about it in the process. Maybe I should try to start my own little informal group. Hmmmm? That's an idea. I'll have to do some research.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I belong to my statewide guild and it is wonderful. They are so much fun to be around, I love going to guild meetings and look forward to it each month.

I don't belong to my local county guild, however, since they don't allow men to join. :roll:

One of the women in the state guild that I'm in has a sew-day on the second Saturday of each month, and we go to that. There's usually about a half dozen or so there and we do a potluck for lunch. I really like it, they are such a fun group of people to be around. :D

craftybear 05-29-2010 09:22 AM

Hi Susan,

Yes this is a fun site and glad to be your friend!

Originally Posted by SUSAN
Craftybear, I joined a group at my local SR. center. After a few months of being ignored by one gal and shushed by another, I just quit going. I wanted friendship and fellowship and maybe some guidelines along the way. I quit nearly a month ago and no one has called. I don't miss the ignoring person or the person who shushed me all the time, but I do miss the others. Too bad the one bad apple applies. I'm quite happy in this forum, have learned many new things and gathered quite a few friends, you included. :thumbup: :-D