Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   do you bind by machine or by hand? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-bind-machine-hand-t83885.html)

MerryQuilter 12-20-2010 05:16 AM

finish on back by hand love the neat look.

Deborah12687 12-20-2010 05:29 AM

You know I really don't like doing the binding for some reason. Maybe it's because it takes so much time to do it and I am excited to get it done!

purrfectquilts 12-20-2010 05:38 AM

Like many others, binding is my least favorite part of making a quilt, but it must be done (smile).

I do both machine and hand stitching on the bindings. Depends on what it is and how it is going to be used. Children's quilts, pot holders, table covers or something that will be laundered frequently, I often sew by machine or some art quilts, postcards and such. Bed quilts, other art quilts and so on I like to sew by hand. I think it looks better, tidier, and more authentic.

There is no one saying this or that is best. Do what you like and works for you. It is all good. Have fun!

Tweety2911 12-20-2010 05:41 AM

I prefer to hand sew my binding.

purrfectquilts 12-20-2010 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Renee110

Originally Posted by 117becca
Another one who machine stitch to the front, hand stitch to the back..I like how the stitching "disappears" on the back.

Mine didn't disappear! I'm going to watch some youtube videos before doing this next one!

Use a matching to the binding thread and a fine needle, like a #10 sharps applique or something. One strand of thread. Bury your knot in the seam allowance and then just catch one or two threads on the very edge of your binding, plus a bit of the backing and batting. If you bring your needle up underneath the edge and the threads that you catch are on the very edge or just under the edge of the binding .... your stitches will not show much. Good Luck!

ckcowl 12-20-2010 05:49 AM

i machine stitch binding to the front then fold to the back and hand stitch. i have been (lazy) a couple times and machine stitched both sides...when time was an issue and i didn't have time to do it right.. i always feel horrible when i cut corners and do that-- i think it looks like crap and ruins all the work i put intothe quilt in the first place to finish with a shoddy technique for the binding.
i'm sure it's just me- i just don't like the way they look when they are machine applied...always looks...like it came from walmart to me.
a quilt that was maybe a good $500 quilt, suddenly becomes a $50 , ashamed to give it away quilt.
i know some people successfully machine apply their bindings and like it that way...it's just one of those (things) with me.

bunniequilter 12-20-2010 05:54 AM

I bind everything by machine. I also sew the binding to the back with a 1/4 seam allownace first then pull it to the front and stitch down by machine. This method gives me a bit of a wider binding on the front and it covers the bobbin thread that shows on the front from stitching to the back first. I normaly use a 3 1/2 inch wide straight grain binding folded in half for the actual binding.

Originally Posted by Renee110
The only binding I have done so far is on a table topper I finished 2 days ago. I have one more to do tonight, and then of course one day I will bind my quilt I'm working on.

The topper I did a few days ago I stitched on the back by hand. I was at my local quilt shop the other day, and all of her quilts on her wall the binding was all done by machine. Of course, you could see the stitches on the front of the quilt, but I was wondering how many quilters do it all by machine, or if the hand stitching is preferable. I know there are no "quilt police" lol, but I still want to know what the general consenence is.

Mattee 12-20-2010 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by thegypsy1968
"You put a piece of yourself in every finished quilt and I want to always do that...Blessings !!

Yeah, and for me, it's usually a bit of blood.

:-)

GammaLou 12-20-2010 06:17 AM

Yeah me too, especially if I stitch by hand :roll:

Jeanniejo 12-20-2010 06:20 AM

I do mine by hand, I don't like the stitches showing on the front. I guess with the time and effort I put into a quilt I don't want to look like I rushed the binding.