Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you buy quilt kits?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-buy-quilt-kits-t204480.html)

nstitches4u 10-29-2012 03:04 PM

I have only bought one quilt kit. Actually, it was a sampler block of the month. Two of the block kits were short on fabric, so my quilt is smaller than it was supposed to be. I couldn't match the fabric so I had to eliminate some blocks and make a smaller quilt. It was a learning experience.

jmabby 10-29-2012 03:08 PM

The fun of it all for me is to buy the fabric. But, many times I don't get to the quilt I plan to make and put the fabric in a kit I design, fabric wise.

meanmom 10-29-2012 03:09 PM

I pick my own fabrics. Mostly there is a fabric or 2 in kits I don't like. Usually I totally change up the colors. I actually bought my first kit on Friday. I have been quilting about 8 years. The LQS had a kit for a baby quilt that just spoke to me. I need a fairly quick baby quilt and it is perfect for my niece.

Jo Anne B. 10-29-2012 03:58 PM

I have bought Christmas kit, still sitting in the sack, thought for sure I would have gotten it done for this Christmas, for sure next Christmas. i love the muted earth tone colors, i fear to I will blunder in the cutting process and ruin the entire thing. While at the Fons and Porter fabric sale found some of the same fabric in the kit, I snatched that up:D Safety net!!!:thumbup:

Jackie R 10-29-2012 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney (Post 5619061)
I see all these beautiful quilts on this board, I'm just wondering, do most quilters buy kits or do most buy a pattern then pick their own colors etc...thx :)

I do both too. But the only kits I've bought are the quick and easy ones - smaller throws or wall hangings. The kits give me an easy way to whip up something fairly easy and fairly fast in my limited time. Otherwise I also use patterns and then "agonize" over fabric selections for a good while before making a move to actually get to making something. I do enjoy the whole quilting process, but sometimes it takes a while to get through a state of inertia. But then maybe kits are the perfect solution to that problem.

I admire quilters that just don't seem to have a decision making problem and can produce beautiful, fun and gorgeous guilts as seen on this site.

Michelekolt 10-29-2012 04:08 PM

I do both, the kits I have done have had more then enough fabric. Everyone of them has been over and I have scraps for my pre cut bin. I have also bought patterns and picked my own fabric.

kim_s 10-29-2012 05:38 PM

I love to buy kits and I love using my own fabric with patterns. Connecting Threads always has beautiful patterns with a nice selection of fabric - and the clearance ones are such a great deal! I also enjoy buying kits from places when I'm on vacation. It brings back great memories from that vacation.

jollyquilting 10-29-2012 06:00 PM

I've done both too, I like kits for some things and just ordered an order from Avalon and eager to get that one. Some I just like, have had good luck with the ones I have tried,.

My time 10-29-2012 06:04 PM

If its on sale, like 30 to 50% off, and I love the kit I'll buy it. Now that being said I've only bought 3 kits so far and they were scrappy quilts. Meaning I could add whatever fabrics I wanted to it.

Scakes 10-29-2012 06:47 PM

I buy patterns or see one online; buy my fabrics or use from my stash. I've only bought a couple of kits and was not impressed with them. They are very stingy with fabrics and if you make a mistake, you can run into problems.