Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you dare to break the rules? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-dare-break-rules-t317081.html)

toverly 12-16-2021 08:20 AM

I rarely make something for someone else where they have chosen the pattern or fabrics. I make what I like to make and have a stack of quilts ready to go. I then let a quilt worthy person choose from that stack. I don't let anyone reach into my quilting room and tell me what I have to quilt.

rryder 12-16-2021 08:44 AM

I make quilts that I want to make (often breaking "rules"), whether they are meant to be show quilts, or meant to be quilts that are daily using quilts. I don't make quilts on request - ever. I did commissioned work for jewelry for a while and always found it nerve wracking- worrying whether the work would meet the vision of the person who commissioned it. I enjoy the process of quilting and exploring new things, and know from my history with jewelry making that the idea of trying to satisfy someone else's vision or color scheme adds too much stress to my daily life.

Rob

SallyS 12-16-2021 09:00 AM

I think the rules are guidelines that save us from going through experiences someone has already learned from. I look at them as shortcuts. Still, I've written many articles (published!!!) about better, faster methods. If you can think of a method more suitable, of course you should use it. And I hope you'll tell us about it!

tallchick 12-16-2021 09:10 AM

Like Toverly, I make what I want to make and allow others to pick from what I have. If you’re in my quilt stash selecting a quilt , then you are indeed quilt worthy! If someone has a request for a quilt, then I will give them the price for a custom made quilt with a timeline. I have yet to have someone give me their colors and a deposit, with the deposit being the cost of the fabric upfront, I will not be left holding the bag. Besides, quilting is my sanity, I don’t think I would like the pressure of quilting for others.

RustyOne 12-16-2021 09:16 AM

Rules?!?

Rules?!? There aren't any "rules" in quilting! Suggestions, maybe. But no rules! A true artist is never constrained by rules!

:D :D :D

petthefabric 12-16-2021 09:59 AM

Don't be shy! Speak right up! Quilt police not allowed!

YES!

joe'smom 12-16-2021 11:45 AM

I always follow my own inspiration. Otherwise, I would not have enough motivation to make the quilt.

Karamarie 12-16-2021 12:27 PM

I always make a quilt in colors that I have, mostly scrappy. I don't make quilts for others except my Grandchildren. If someone wants to look at my stash of quilt and really likes one, I may sell it to them or just gift it them sometime in the future. I gift quilts if a person just "touches" me in a way that I want to do something special for them. For instance, when hubby and I moved into town a few years ago, one of the neighbor ladies immediately invited me over for coffee and was so welcoming. Yup, she got a quilt that year for Christmas. Such a warm feeling to give from the heart with no strings attached.

ckcowl 12-18-2021 08:43 AM

Reading your post made me think of Gwen Marston! she popularized what she called Liberated Quilting ! She wrote books, I had the pleasure of knowing her and visited a museum once that had a wonderful Gwen exhibition. she didn’t use rulers, just put things together in a very carefree way. She used to have workshops and retreats on her property on Beaver Island, Michigan. I learned a lot about ( not worrying about ***the normal- this is how it’s done—rules mindsets ***) it’s nice to just do what you want, anyway you want without worrying about it. And her quilts are in Museums! Your quilt might turn out to be an all time favorite!

Jingle 12-18-2021 01:36 PM

I make what I want to make. Everyone I want to have a quilt already has one to several. Now I make quilts for me and donations to foster kids in my county.