Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you dream in 100% cotton? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-dream-100%25-cotton-t37142.html)

RatherB Quilting 02-16-2010 07:14 PM

Hey there.
So, lately I have been thinking more and more about the fact that I am so hopelessly addicted to quilting and fabric. I would love nothing more than to spend my days surrounded by fabric. I literally fall asleep at night thinking about quilts. My (not-so) secret dream is to own a quilt shop. I want to sell fabric that is the quality of Moda and Kaufman, but the price of Joann's fabric. I have been thinking more and more of trying to start an online fabric store. I know, I know..."aren't online fabric sites a dime a dozen?" Well, that is why I am here. What do you all think of this as a start-up business? If you were to shop from my store, what would you look for/expect? Are my dreams even close to realistic, or should I just continue sleeping?
Any ideas, advice, suggestions, arguments or psyciatrist recommendations would be welcome!!
Thanks everyone!

MissM 02-16-2010 07:18 PM

Hey I'm with you. I love fabrics and crafts of all types. I can spend hours just wandering in the shops. I have wanted a shop of my own for so long I can't even remember when the thought first crossed my mind. Oh well, if not in this lifetime, maybe in another.

barnbum 02-16-2010 07:22 PM

Well, I just bought some on-line--ordered on Friday and it arrived today! Fast service--that's huge! It must be a big factor in repeat business. Free shipping is sweet, too.

charismah 02-16-2010 07:23 PM

I know what you mean..I have said more than once in teh last week "I need to join fabrics anonymous!" I work part time at our LQS...adn I can tell you it is more than a job for me..I love just walking in there..I have been spending my pay check in fabric...( I am fortunate to do so) so I usually buy all the latest and greatest fabrics that come in .....only because I like them! It is becoming a sickness! I can't really tell you what I would be looking for because really...the whole thing is so subjective and different things appeal to different people.
I would say for an online shop....you would probably need to offer things in kit form.....Do monthly specials..and monthly blocks...a jelly roll of the month club...something like that?? I don't know ;-)

DA Mayer 02-16-2010 08:35 PM

I just want to be able to sew my fabrics instead of just looking at them. I would come work for you when you get your shop going...................

Honey 02-16-2010 09:50 PM

I would look for quality and some kind of break on shipping. Also, I think coupons are a big draw.

quilterella 02-17-2010 01:58 AM

Online store in Ontario would be great. When I owned my quilt store a few years ago, I specialized in Moda and Kaufman...good luck on your endeavors.

Boston1954 02-17-2010 06:01 AM

I think it is a terrific dream! There is one thing to consider. You may have already thought of this but, the business end of any enterprise is incredibly time consuming. I have never owned a business, but I have known a couple of people who did. They bemoaned the fact that now they did not have a lot of time to themselves. If you have thought of this and are emotionally prepared for it.....if you have the money for start up, I would say go for it. I would LOVE to be able to buy Kaufman at Joann prices.

thismomquilts 02-17-2010 06:57 AM

I, too, dream of having a quilt shop one day. There's a building right now that is empty in our town. It would be perfect... but... reality sets in and I just look at it as I pass by. If I had the money or felt comfortable getting a loan, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I already know the 'stuff' of owning a business - we already have one - and of starting it up - but I'd still do it.. Blessings on you if you decide to go for it...

Elisabrat 02-17-2010 07:24 AM

Fast COURTEOUS service is a must. Quality is first. Second quality I could go to walmart. I think selection, color.. and the real key of course is service. If your all selling the same thing, if your all pricing the same then what makes you different? I havent seen too many shopping "cards" online? You know like the quilt stores give.. punch cards.. how about a shopping card virtual? every $5 is punched and at $250 or whatever is the norm you get a discount of.. or a random fifteen On Line Purchases today get... 15 percent off.. something that makes people want to at least go for it if you were going to buy it anyways.. or a spin the wheel.. get 5 percent or 20 percent off based on your spin.. not sure how that stuff works either but everyone out there loves a deal. I know I do. Variety, quality, shipping prices low.. a win for all.