Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You Find Yourself Passing on a Lot of Patterns? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-find-yourself-passing-lot-patterns-t104034.html)

zennia 03-02-2011 06:28 AM

When I first started quilting I printed out every pattern I found on the internet. Now I can pass them by unless it is something I really really like. I have tons of patterns that I will never use.

Connie in CO 03-02-2011 06:28 AM

No me,I'm always on the look out for anything.I'm looking into buying a book from one of the ladies here on the board.It's cheaper than Amazon,i hope.Connie in CO

PATTIESPEARL 03-02-2011 07:29 AM

I don't think I will live long enough to make all of them, unless I make it to 200!

Jennifer22206 03-02-2011 07:32 AM

I save a lot of patterns that are PDF files, and I hope to get to them sometime, but probably not any time soon.

lisalisa 03-02-2011 07:47 AM

I skip anything that has flying geese. They're such a pain in the rear, I just curse every time I do them.

Emma S 03-02-2011 07:50 AM

I really like to do a simple one, then a complex one. I always like to try something I havn't done before but just because I haven't done it before doesn't mean its hard. I have never purchased an individual pattern because the books and magazines plus this great board supply me with more than I can ever get done. As noted by a couple of others, I am going to let my subscriptions lapse, to much money and not enough diversity.

ShirlinAZ 03-02-2011 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by lisalisa
I skip anything that has flying geese. They're such a pain in the rear, I just curse every time I do them.

Have you tried Eleanor Burns flying geese? IMHO she makes them really simple.

I pass on patterns that only make a size I can't use. I'm surprised how many quilts say "king size" but are only 108x88. My bed is 81x81; to have a reasonable overhang I require 100x120. I won't buy a pattern just to find out I can't enlarge it easily.

plainpat 03-02-2011 10:35 AM

I do have both sizes EB flying geese rulers, but never used them Another bad habit !

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ

Originally Posted by lisalisa

Have you tried Eleanor Burns flying geese? IMHO she makes them really simple.

I pass on patterns that only make a size I can't use. I'm surprised how many quilts say "king size" but are only 108x88. My bed is 81x81; to have a reasonable overhang I require 100x120. I won't buy a pattern just to find out I can't enlarge it easily.

Scissor Queen 03-02-2011 10:55 AM

Yes, but the ones I pass are the ones everybody and their cousin has already done 6 of or the super simple "just a bunch of squares and rectangles" sewn together type quilts.

cowpie2 03-02-2011 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Don't know if it's just a case of laziness or what,but I'm not choosing to make a lot of the patterns I see.
The pics are pretty,but is it full of HSTs? How many seams?Is it a... so-called easy quilt? Been there & done that.....didn't work easy for me.
Seems like my mind has to dissect a pattern before I'll consider it.Maybe too many HSTs have just worn me out? ;) :lol:

I don't think it is laziness at all. Personally, I've just found the styles I am most fond of. I love looking at all of the beautiful quilts and the many styles, but when I sit down to work on one I find myself happiest with a simple pattern.