Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you get handmade gifts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-get-handmade-gifts-t220761.html)

CarolynMT 05-05-2013 08:49 AM

Do you get handmade gifts?

I was just wondering if any of you received handmade gifts? My mother is a sewer, and hardly anyone makes things for her. They usually buy her gift certificates or get her some gadgets, etc. I am a quilter and hardly anyone makes things for me either. I spoke with my mom about it and she said that people feel she can do it herself so why make something for her. Since that talk I have gone out of my way to make things for my mom. :) And suddenly she has started making things for me as well.

We all put alot of time, effort and money into making quilts. So I wondered if any have received quilted items as gifts in return? Just kinda curious.

dd 05-05-2013 08:58 AM

I don't think I have every gotten anything that I could make myself. My dil will paint or draw pictures for me but I can't do that. I love getting hand made things. Everyone says, Oh but your so good at it. Mine will never measure up.
So! I would still like it.

DebraK 05-05-2013 08:59 AM

My husband and my son make things for me. That's about it.
One exception is a seam ripper that an online friend made for me. He was researching small items to make with his lathe. I was lucky enough to be the recipient of a prototype. I treasure this gift.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ted/ripper.jpg

QuiltnNan 05-05-2013 09:08 AM

my mother used to send me hand made crafty gifts... she's too old now. other than that, folks know i could make anything they could, so leave that to me and buy me things useful to my craft or other things they know i wouldn't buy for myself.

oma66 05-05-2013 09:20 AM

I LOVE it when someone gives me a hand made gift. I make nearly all the gifts I give and they seem to be appreciated. I do not get many hand made gifts but when I do, it thrills my heart. I can understand that those of us that are creative may run into folks thinking, "why make them something whey they can make it themselves", but making it ourselves certainly does not mean the same things as receiving it from someone else. I have never received a quilt, but have given them. I have received crocheted items, paintings, and crafted items in other mediums.

How nice that you and your mom are exchanging hand made gifts. Keep it going.

charsuewilson 05-05-2013 09:34 AM

We've received a number of hand-made gifts over the years. DH's grandma made pillows and stuffed animals for us. We received some hand-made gifts as Wedding gifts, and for many other occasions. Some that stick in my mind are a kleenex box cover, numerous Christmas Ornaments, counted cross-stitch wall hangings, dish cloths, book-ends, a desk and several tables, a wooden box, a lamp, knitted and crocheted afgans and other items.

ckcowl 05-05-2013 10:10 AM

as a child-with a single mom struggling to keep 5 kids clothed & fed- we were taught to make gifts- I was probably in my 30's before i actually *shopped* for a gift for someone in my family-
i'm in my 50's now- and myself and my siblings & mom all still make gifts for each other- I also belong to a couple different sewing groups and forums that make gifts for each other- one sewing group we draw numbers at holiday time and make a gift for whom ever we draw- one forum the secret sister program we send a (hand made) gift each month- ect...sometimes it's ok to send something that is store bought too-but something you make has to be included---so, yes, i receive many *handmade* gifts---table toppers, coasters, postcards, placemats, aprons, fabric bowls, boxes, rugs, wallhangings, totes/purses/wallets, sewing kits, pincushions...among many others are all items i have received over the years.

ghostrider 05-05-2013 10:32 AM

My grandparents, parents, sister, and several cousins are/were all artists in different mediums. You can bet we all learned to exchange our own hand crafted work at a very early age. My non-artist friends also give me hand crafted items...though it may not be crafted by their hand...because they know I really like "that kind of thing". :)

Lori S 05-05-2013 11:03 AM

None of my family gives me anything they have sewn. I guess they figure I could make it for myself . Everyone else in my family knits beautifully , and even though I have given several obvious hints, and have give them quilts... I don't have any receint ( like the last 10 years at least) gifts of anything they have knit .

DebraK 05-05-2013 11:13 AM

lucky you. My loved ones, for some reason, don't get that about me ;-)