Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   do you hate hand sewing down your binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-hate-hand-sewing-down-your-binding-t253729.html)

ManiacQuilter2 09-14-2014 10:20 AM

No, because I like the look of hand sewing and I know that if I tried it by machine, my stitching would look horrid. Glad you found something that works for you..

Cathy77 09-14-2014 10:28 AM

I only hate it when I have to absolutely finish a quilt because of a deadline. Otherwise I find it quite relaxing as well, just sitting there, watching a few series...

SweatyPie 09-14-2014 10:35 AM

To me, the quilt is instantly worth less when someone doesn't care enough to handstitch the binding. I know others may differ, but that's how I feel on the topic.

gale 09-14-2014 10:51 AM

I have carpal tunnel syndrome so I only hand sew if it's small and not practical to machine sew. Otherwise I machine sew. It has nothing to do with how much I care-it would take me months just to do the binding alone. And I disagree that the quilt is instantly worth less. What a crappy thing to say.

GailG 09-14-2014 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith (Post 6888069)
I actually enjoy sewing the binding by hand. It's probably the only hand sewing I do and I find it relaxing.

Ditto! I love the binding process. And Gaga, I love your signature statement. Ditto for me on that too!

Rose S. 09-14-2014 11:22 AM

I love the part of hand sewing the binding down. I do like to hand sew but for some reason that is about all the hand sewing I do any more.

Pam B 09-14-2014 11:27 AM

I, too, love hand sewing my binding! I pop in a movie, or watch football with my DH while doing it. I find it to be relaxing. However, I know that not everyone enjoys hand sewing. If doing your binding by machine is what you want to do then, by all means, do it that way!

ptquilts 09-14-2014 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 6888072)
Interesting method, but, I too enjoy sewing the binding by hand. Mindless and relaxing to me.

Me too, except if I do too many in a row my fingers get sore. I have tried machine sewing binding and find it very frustrating.

Raggiemom 09-14-2014 11:53 AM

I can hand sew the binding but don't like to. And I know sewing it by machine is much stronger than my hand sewing. Most of my quilts go to charity and I expect they are washed frequently. If I did the binding by hand, I expect the binding would eventually fall apart :( I will agree, it looks better when done by hand but it doesn't bother me enough to actually do it by hand.

Jeanne S 09-14-2014 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith (Post 6888069)
I actually enjoy sewing the binding by hand. It's probably the only hand sewing I do and I find it relaxing.

Me too! I don't do any other hand sewing but I like sewing the binding. Guess partly because I know this means that quilt is almost done..