Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have good tips for making the backing of your quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-good-tips-making-backing-your-quilt-t204846.html)

Material Witness 11-03-2012 01:29 PM

That address didn't come out right. Try again:
http://www.multi-patch.com/html/diag...calculator.php

Better.

Jingle 11-03-2012 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by jemma (Post 5628737)
1/2 inch seams on the backing--makes life much easier--[tip given to me by an 84 year old hand quilter]

Also press the seams open and bulk is spread more evenly.

Jingle 11-03-2012 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 5628597)
Did you mean "always cut off the selvage" instead of "seam allowance"?

I only cut off the selvage on the pieces I need to sew together, when making 2 or three large pieces and put the remaining selvage on the outside. It gets trimmed off when I trim the quilted top for the binding. This makes it easier for me not to get confused as to where I need to sew the sections together.

Jingle 11-03-2012 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie (Post 5628925)
Sheets work very well for backings. I know that there are some quilters who will disagree but I have often used them. They machine quilt easily, wash and wear well and come in a multitude of colours. I look for the cotton rich sheets in King size so that I have extra to make matching pillowcases. Quilting fabric is at least $15 a metre in Canada and it's hard to justify the extra cost when a sheet can be purchased for about $10 if bought on sale. I buy them at Len's Mills, Giant Tiger (small department store) or Sears and they all sometimes have seconds available (can't often tell why they are a second) and that's when I stock up. We use sheets all the time for the back of our Community Quilts stitched by our quilt guild.

Great money saving tip.

Jingle 11-03-2012 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 5631272)
I usually add a border to the back of my quilts to add some interest, but that gives me the problem of centering everything. I work on my living room hardwood floor. First I lay out the batting which is always much larger than the front of my quilt. I spray it with basting spray and then lay and flatten the top onto it face up. Then on the batting I measure 5" around the outside of my top and cut along that line all the way around. Then I flip it over so that all I see is the batting. I use a marker to mark 5" in from the edge and now I know where the front reaches. From that, I can mark the center if I want to or I can just use spray adhesive to lay the backing face up onto the batting using that 5" line as my guide to keep the backing in the same position as the front.

I love this tip and will use it for pieced backs. Thank you.

leighway 11-03-2012 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie (Post 5628925)
Sheets work very well for backings. I know that there are some quilters who will disagree but I have often used them. They machine quilt easily, wash and wear well and come in a multitude of colours. I look for the cotton rich sheets in King size so that I have extra to make matching pillowcases. Quilting fabric is at least $15 a metre in Canada and it's hard to justify the extra cost when a sheet can be purchased for about $10 if bought on sale. I buy them at Len's Mills, Giant Tiger (small department store) or Sears and they all sometimes have seconds available (can't often tell why they are a second) and that's when I stock up. We use sheets all the time for the back of our Community Quilts stitched by our quilt guild.

When my children were little, I used sheets to back their quilts and while the tops have long ago worn in places, those backings are as good as they day they were added. It's something to consider. They also feel really good when I use one for a nap. I'd consider a sheet again if I didn't have so blasted much fabric in my stash!

Annz 11-04-2012 06:35 PM

I have used sheets in the past but have to be careful the sheet is not too haevy or thick as this makes quilting a little tough.

Landers 11-05-2012 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Janette (Post 5631327)
I usually go to www.backsidefabrics.com. This site deals only with wide fabrics, usually 108" or wider. She has a good range of fabrics at reasonable prices, plus often has good sales. I buy these even when the quilt I'm backing is 60". I take what's left over and may use it for a pillowcase or generally I put these large pieces aside and later donate them to a group that makes quilts for homeless children.

Thanks so much!!!! This is a great site! I would rather use wide backing than piece a backing.

21quilter 11-05-2012 08:47 AM

When I'm handquilting a project, I like to have as few seams as possible. But when I machine quilt, I love to do interesting things to the back. Mix & match pieces, add extra blocks......it adds an element of "surprise" to the quilt. And after the first few times you do it, your brain starts to think outside of the box. At least mine does.....when I'm machine quilting it.

carolynjo 11-05-2012 07:08 PM

OC quilter, do you mean cut the selvedge off? I don't think you mean to cut the seam allowance off because that is what you need to sew the pieces together.