Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have to hand quilt a hexagon quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-hand-quilt-hexagon-quilt-t183187.html)

Jan in FL 03-18-2012 03:02 AM

Do you have to hand quilt a hexagon quilt?

I am thinking of making a hexagon quilt with English Paper Piecing method using 1" hexagons. I plan for this to be a long term project, of course. Before I get started, I need a question answered and I can't seem to find my answer on my own, so I am bringing it to the experts! Is it necessary to hand quilt this project once I am finished or can I have it long arm quilted? Thanks for your advice.

sewbeadit 03-18-2012 03:27 AM

I am not an expert, sorry. I don't know, most of the ones I have seen have been hand quilted, but they do so much with machines now days I am sure someone could tell you how to do it. I just got done cutting out hex's and little dresdens to english paper piece and I have a whole pile to do up. I think it will take me a long time too as I will be sewing them to the paper when I am done for the day and watching some tv. A little here and a little there and in no time (months) it will be done. Have fun with yours.

quilticing 03-18-2012 03:28 AM

I usually overlap a simple flower shape for the quilting on Grandma's Flower Garden designs. (I have a longarm machine) It strengthens the quilt overall, I think, when the top has been hand pieced.

Jan in FL 03-18-2012 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by quilticing (Post 5069537)
I usually overlap a simple flower shape for the quilting on Grandma's Flower Garden designs. (I have a longarm machine) It strengthens the quilt overall, I think, when the top has been hand pieced.

That is what I assumed/hoped.

Jan in FL 03-18-2012 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 5069535)
I am not an expert, sorry. I don't know, most of the ones I have seen have been hand quilted, but they do so much with machines now days I am sure someone could tell you how to do it. I just got done cutting out hex's and little dresdens to english paper piece and I have a whole pile to do up. I think it will take me a long time too as I will be sewing them to the paper when I am done for the day and watching some tv. A little here and a little there and in no time (months) it will be done. Have fun with yours.

That is my plan exactly - unwind with the TV and also take it on road trips, etc. I will be flying from FL to Wa in a couple of months and always hate how long and boring the flight is. Hoping to take this to work on in the plane. I have read that airlines let you board with small sewing items....fingers crossed!

bettyboop32953 03-18-2012 03:42 AM

At one time I would respond, "if you are hand piecing, you should honor the work by hand quilting." I am not such a snob any longer. Machine quilting skills have been raised to such a high level. No quilt police will come after you. : )

Jan in VA 03-19-2012 08:14 AM

Oh, yes, you "must" hand quilt it; and when you finish it, you "have" to mail it to me. :D:D:thumbup:

Jan in VA
(aren't I a silly girl!)