Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-old-sear-kenmore-sewing-machine-t234482.html)

jackiequilts4fun 11-11-2013 04:11 AM

Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine?

I'll need to figure out how to post photos here.

I found an old Kenmore machine in Goodwill yesterday.
This thing looks BRAND NEW.
It is clean as a whistle & doesn't have ANY scratch marks on it.
i hesitated buying it (I really do not need a machine ... haha),
but for $22 I couldn't pass it up either.
The lady at Goodwill told me that she was working when the machine came in.
An 80+ year old lady brought it.

I don't expect that it's really worth anything.
I'm going to set it up in another room in my house though, and I thought I'd use it when sewing heavier things.
A friend of mine has a Kenmore and she says they are "work horse" machines, and that's why I decided to buy it.
I have a Viking Designer 1 that I use (bought it used), but I wouldn't say it's a heavy duty machine like this Kenmore is. I think the Kenmore weighs 22#.

Anyway, wanted to see who here has one, and why you love it!
The model I have is 158.13180.
I tried figuring out it's age. Hard to tell. Maybe from the late 60's-early 70's.
The only thing I don't have for it is a manual.
I'm having trouble getting the bobbin to work for me, so my friend said that she will come over.
I get it "in there" and snap it into place, but the snap seems so easy, like maybe it's not fully engaged.
And then, I can get it to turn & pick up the thread, but from there it sticks.
The thread does feel "tight" in coming from the bobbin and thru that bobbin case.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

sandrab64 11-11-2013 04:30 AM

I found the manual for this model online http://homeappliance.manualsonline.c...ne/p/158.13180

Jo C 11-11-2013 04:55 AM

I got a 1975 Kenmore 12 stitch at the ReStore for $35. It's my favorite machine for piecing, i love it! I used it for about a year and then took it to the "guy" to have it cleaned. It was worth it to me to spend the money to clean it cuz it's just a great machine. Have fun!

Stitch124 11-11-2013 05:00 AM

Can you post a pic of your Kenmore? I have a Kenmore from 1971 -- it was 'Sear's Best' that year. I love mine!

Pauly43 11-11-2013 05:21 AM

I have a 158.523, purchased in 1966. Made clothes for 3 kids, alternations, some clothes for me, mending, etc.
It has travelled from central California to southern California to Alabama and back to central California.
I have made 50+ quilts on it in the last 5+ years and like they say - it is a workhorse. Love it. Oh and for maintenance, I think I have spent approx. $200 in all that time.

LindaR 11-11-2013 06:32 AM

I have a 1978 that is still up and running....

qbtexas 11-11-2013 06:44 AM

I've got an old Kenmore, model 158.17300, which I believe is about 40 years old. My mom used it for clothing construction, and then I took it over after I graduated high school and have been using it for clothes and then quilting ever since. I get it cleaned and lubed every couple of years and it works like a dream! I might have fun with a fancy machine like a Bernina or Pfaff, but I don't even try them, because what I have does what I need just fine! (I piece, and only machine quilt small projects.)

As for the bobbin...check the tension on the bobbin case. Maybe a turn of the screw would prevent that sticking.

Pam S 11-11-2013 06:46 AM

When you get it up and running, you will love it. I have a 1973 Kenmore that will sew through anything. Unfortunately, my DD fell in love with it and it is now living in her college dorm room 3 hours away. She loves the "vintage look" so she says but she's also made 2 quilts on it. Guess I raised that girl right.

Annie68 11-11-2013 06:50 AM

I have that particular model, Jackie. I love it and do all my machine quilting on it. You got a great bargain. Hope you can get it running smoothly. As far as the bobbin problem, have you tried loosening the screw on the bobbin case? Turn it just a bit to the left til your thread moves smooth and easy with some resistance. Good luck!

tessagin 11-11-2013 07:09 AM

My DH brought home a Kenmore this weekend. I was all happy and everything til he told me how he got it. I'm like no no no. One of the guys who works for him let DH have it and all the attachments and the manual for $50.00. Told DH his wife hasn't used if for awhile (?). How long was awhile? Told him to call the guy and found out his wife nearly shot him. This machine was clean as a whistle. Very well kept. She hadn't used it in a couple years because she had a bit of burn out and kids moved back home with grand kids and was inundated with family chaos. They had overtaken her sewing room. She also worked outside the home. She decided recently she was going to start back to sewing because it was good for Christmas gifts and didn't have a lot of money. She didn't know he sold it AND for $50.00. I want an extra sewing machine for a back up but there's no way I'm keeping this one. DH called and we took it back to her. We got our money back (that wasn't the point) she needed her sewing machine. Dh looked at me and said "Guess next time I'll ask why it's being sold and does the owner know it's being sold." She really used that machine. Every curtain and slipcover and quilt/bedcovering and most of the clothes on her kids backs when they were younger were constructed on that machine. The attachments were in a Ziploc. I had an old jewelry box with sections in it. When opened couple bottom drawers would jut out. I put those in the jewelry box and gave to her. She was delighted and thankful.