Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have a recent George sit down ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-recent-george-sit-down-t313815.html)

mjpEncinitas 01-10-2021 08:23 PM

Do you have a recent George sit down ?

It’s time to buy another sit down longarm machine. The used sweet 16 machine I bought was clearly a lemon.

a few questions about the APQS George:

1. Were you able to set the machine up yourself?
2. Have you been happy with the machine?
3. Advantages and disadvantages of the machine
4. Was the support from the company as good as I’ve heard?
5. Have you been able to do the maintenance and repairs yourself?

Thanks,
MJ

juliasb 01-11-2021 08:45 AM

I too am eyeing the George. The questions you ask are much the same as I have as well as finding a 'close' to local dealer. for service and especially warrantee work.

Onebyone 01-11-2021 09:11 AM

I tested the Juki this past weekend. It was wonderful. Juki dealer sale for about $5500.

mjpEncinitas 01-11-2021 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8451707)
I too am eyeing the George. The questions you ask are much the same as I have as well as finding a 'close' to local dealer. for service and especially warrantee work.

There are not a lot of George dealers. In San Diego I have to travel 90 minutes to get to one, I’ve actually chose this company because they are supposed to provide excellent support so you can maintain, trouble shoot and fix the machines yourself. they have three people who just provide support for this. Their goal is to get the machine fixed in the smallest amount of time but you’re part of it.

This contrasts with the sweet sixteen people who. Will help you diagnose the machine when the mechanic can’t find the problem but make you take it to a mechanic. In addition when you do maintenance on a sweet 16 it takes six different kinds of oil. They really push you to use their mechanics. If you run into a problem the mechanic can’t fix you’re out of luck. And I had what was probably one of the most experienced sweet 16 mechanics in the U S.

so it really is two different approaches. If you have a George dealer near to you it doesn’t make much difference. If you don’t you’ll have to decide if their approach will work for you.

BonnieJP 01-11-2021 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8451716)
I tested the Juki this past weekend. It was wonderful. Juki dealer sale for about $5500.

I bought a Juki Miyabi J350-QVP last January. I LOVE this machine. The dealer I purchased it from gave me an introductory lesson on using the machine, delivered it, and set up the machine and sitdown table in my home. I asked about changing oil and annual maintenance, but because the Miyabi is constructed like their industrial machines, there is nothing to maintain. It has a Servo motor with sealed bearings, so the only thing I ever have to oil is the bobbin hook. It's a great machine. Did I mention that I LOVE it???

intoquilting 01-12-2021 11:07 AM

I have a friend that is a dealer and she loves hers. Another friend bought a George and then decided to get a longarm (stand up). She decided to sell George. I tried to convince her to keep both but she sold George. Now she is sorry because she really can't stand that long to quilt. She loved her George. I have a Milli and I love it. The support is great and I have had very few problems in the 13 years I have owned an APQS machine. Good luck on your purchase.

sak658 01-12-2021 12:01 PM

Sit Down George

I just sold my sit down George....I loved it, but downsizing so had to give it up...A lady bought it and she loves it too...I am planning on buying a sewing/quilting machine all in one, after I get moved and settled in..then the fun begins on what make and model to buy...the George was so easy to maintain and to use...I don't think you can go wrong on getting a George...I would suggest getting the open toe foot also, so you can use rulers...Happy shopping...!!

mjpEncinitas 01-12-2021 09:16 PM

I started the process to get one delivered. I also got the foot to use with rulers. I look forward to getting a more reliable sit down machine.

thanks for all the advice.

NZquilter 01-13-2021 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas (Post 8452075)
I started the process to get one delivered. I also got the foot to use with rulers. I look forward to getting a more reliable sit down machine.

thanks for all the advice.

Congratulations! I'm still in the dreaming stage for a quilting machine but I would love a George. :)