Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have a serger ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-serger-t33782.html)

Debra Mc 01-10-2010 05:30 PM

I have been toying with the ideal of getting a serger & was wondering who has one & do you like it. You can spend up to $3000.00 on some & don't know that much about them.

mic-pa 01-10-2010 05:34 PM

I had one, because I thought I needed it. Wrong. I paid about $900. eight years ago. Never used it so sold it a year later. When My children were all home and I was making clothes for them that is the time I should/or would have used it. Some people have them and use them with their quilting but it was not my thing.

Charlee 01-10-2010 05:49 PM

I inherited my mother's Huskylock. Was an expensive machine when she bought it, she paid in the area of $1000 for it. Didn't use it until a few months ago, when I started making Hawaiian shirts for my hubby...it had been unused for at least 8 years, but he oiled and cleaned it and it worked like a charm! I love it for making clothing, hems, anything like that...
Don't think I'd try piecing with it tho...

pocoellie 01-10-2010 06:43 PM

I absolutely love my serger. I don't use it very often any more, since I'm doing more quilting than clothes sewing. It's practically an antique, bought it new in 1982 for $300. It's a Babylok, and a real workhorse. Through the years, I ran it like crazy until about 6 years ago, when I started quilting, it's only been serviced 3 times, never had any problems with it. If you plan on doing a lot of sewing clothes and such, I would recommend it.

Debra Mc 01-10-2010 07:08 PM

I hardly sew many clothes anymore. Mainly I do machine embroidery & quilting. The teacher at my sewing club is always talking about them & showing uses for it. Sometimes I think she is just trying to sell them. My Babylock Elleago will probably do the same except for the cutting part. But it will limit the number of threads I can use. She showed some real pretty stuff that 4 different threads & it was real pretty. Thanks.

sewnsewer2 01-10-2010 08:05 PM

Debra, if you aren't sure if you'll use it alot I would get one from Hancock or someplace like that. You can always upgrade later.

I have the Juno Juki 3434 from Hancock and only paid $179 for it. I love mine!

beachlady 01-10-2010 08:11 PM

I have a hard time seeing how it would be used for quilting, but maybe it could. I used mine when I was making leotards, unitards, tights and bathing suits - was great for that!

deedum 01-10-2010 08:18 PM

I have an oldie I guess, bought it new in "94" I think. I have used it a lot for mending, hemming etc. I wouldn't be with out one myself. I just used it this week to hem jammie bottoms (flannel), have one more pair to hem too. I have a pattern for a quilt you can do on a serger! I wouldn't spend big money on it, you can get a decent one for around $200-$300. A lot of people including myself don't use it to the full potential! :-)

OdessaQuilts 01-10-2010 08:37 PM

I have one, rarely use it. Problem is that most of the serger companies (from what I understand) have gone under. Mine came with a VHS tape so I know how to thread it (sort of), but no manual. Therefore, I have absolutely no idea how to adjust the tensions/what each dial is for/what each thread is for/etc. I think I just need to sit down and put a different color thread on each spindle (mine will do 3 or 4, I guess), sew with it, see where each thread lies, then start playing with the tensions. Time is a problem right now, but I would like to be more efficient at using it. I don't like how loosely the serge stitch is when I work with it.

Just my 2 cents' worth. Good luck.

littlehud 01-10-2010 08:56 PM

I just have never wanted one. I don't know what I would use it for.