Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   do you have a sewing machine repair person? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-sewing-machine-repair-person-t105417.html)

bmorawitz 03-08-2011 07:51 AM

We have to travel 75 miles - not 300 but sometimes it seems like it... So, my two old pfaff's need a good cleaning and maybe in the spring when I will be outside and planting or cleaning up the yard... I can do without them.. I have an old kenmore in a cabinet but that one could use a service guy as well... but willhave to wait on that one..They are a dieing breed..I quess evenually as well as being quilters we will need to be sewing machine repair people....

29cathie 03-09-2011 12:34 PM

Yes I have a great guy that even fixes some of my small problems free.

kraftykimberly 03-09-2011 12:42 PM

NO, not within 30 a minutes drive. Although there is "Mr Cranky Pants" about 35 mins away, but I'd rather skip right over him and drive 45 more mins to "Mr Nice Guy" a little further down the road. It makes for a much better experience.

RugosaB 03-12-2011 10:16 AM

I live on the east side of Toledo, and through a web search for a Viking repairman, I found out there was one on the west side, about 40 minutes away. My husband and I made a day of it, took the machine to get cleaned and looked over, 3 days later, we picked it up.
We had lunch both days and visited some stores on the side of town
I like his manner, I liked the shop (in an old house) so I guess I now have a repairmen. He told me, what I was told when I bought it in 86 or so, it's a good machine. He even talked to my mechanically inclined husband how to open it and different things to look for

Barbshobbies 03-18-2011 06:06 AM

I had a repairman near my work,it took me almost 18 mo. to get my machine back. He said PfAFF`s were no good. (1957)but I loved it. I later found just how good they are. He wanted to buy my motor for a friend of his. (seamstress yet)I finally took DH and told him I wanted my machine or I would call the police. When I got it home it sounded like a tractor. I cleaned & oiled myself and it purrs like a kitten. That cost me $72.00. Take your time to find a good repairman. Call quilt stores, sewing schools, relatives & friends. Even seamstresses. Good luck

Quilt Mom 03-18-2011 07:08 AM

I have an OSMG about 1 1/2 hours away. Because my machines are all vintage, I do not trust them to just anyone. This guy learned from his father, who had the repair shop before him. He works on everything, though I do not know that I wouuld take a new computerized machine to him. He does have a wealth of experience and parts and information on vintage machines.

jonzin2go 04-20-2011 05:12 PM

I am from Stockton and need a repair person would you mind sharing who you use?

fabric_fancy 04-20-2011 05:17 PM

yes, he's called DH

fabric whisperer 04-20-2011 05:28 PM

I am truly blessed, I have a guy just a mile down from me, and he has been a Singer guy for 55 years! He is retired and works from his home now, so his low overhead cuts his prices way down... and he is very knowledgeable! Between his partner and him, they work on anything. He loves that I am only in my mid-40s and have a working treadle... and use it :) and he's helping encourage my DD (13) to keep going, keep learning