Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you just throw your old needles?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-just-throw-your-old-needles-t148785.html)

spartan quilter 08-29-2011 10:05 AM

I have read often, that you should start each new project with a new needle, and so I have wondered just what you do with the old needles. Do you just put them in a case and throw them away, or is there some way to sharpen the point and reuse? I have always just put them in my throw away bottle, but have a hard time doing that, because to me it is wasteful. Any comments on what you do, are really welcome. Thanks in advance for all comments. They are always so useful.

gale 08-29-2011 10:05 AM

I usually throw them away but I have a place where I keep some gently used needles, and if I'm making something small-like a mug rug or a headband or something, I use them for that.

Jim's Gem 08-29-2011 10:06 AM

I toss them. Sometimes they get bent. It is not worth the damage to my machine to try and resharpen them.

suezquilts 08-29-2011 10:06 AM

I agree, I just put them in an old prescription bottle with a hole on the top. That way they don't spill out.

I have a couple very full bottles. :(

PamB8s 08-29-2011 10:08 AM

It really depends on what I am doing as to weather I throw them out or not. I do not put in a new needle for every project. Depending on fabric, makes a big difference. When I do throw them away, I have a small mason jar with slit in top to toss them into and then throw them into the trash maybe once a year.

quiltsRfun 08-29-2011 10:09 AM

I've heard they make good "nails" for hanging pictures.

Granny Quilter 08-29-2011 10:10 AM

The aggravation of having to take out stitches or having skipped stitches for inches in your seems, is not worth keeping old needles. I was thinking I needed a new machine recently, but all the problems stopped when I changed needles.

Kehoeta 08-29-2011 10:13 AM

I throw mine out. I wrap it in a scrap and toss it with my other trash.

bluteddi 08-29-2011 10:16 AM

I do not throw away old needles until they are truely OLD, bent or other issues. I also do not change needles with every project. I have found that if I " sharpen" my needle every once in a while they last MUCH longer.. I use the little " garnet grit" bag that comeso n the " tomato" pin cushion. I just trun the needle thru few times and TADA!!! it sails thru the fabric like new.
I'd be happy to take all those old needles off everyones hands that change needles for every new project!
Money is just too tight for me to do that.....

* I start a new PT job on monday... hope I can hold up to it...*

snipforfun 08-29-2011 10:18 AM

I save them in a pill bottle that I punched a hole in the child proof lid. They make great "nails" to hang up wallhanging. They work great even if the tip is broken off. They are super strong and dont leave a big noticible hole in the wall.