Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you keep the pattern after you finish your quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-keep-pattern-after-you-finish-your-quilt-t221481.html)

churcae 05-14-2013 10:55 AM

Do you keep the pattern after you finish your quilt?

Hi
Okay in a vain attempt to declutter and get rid of stuff in my sewing room, I came across a huge filing box of patterns that I have already finished. Should I keep them - probably will not remake them (although I did make a couple several times....) What do people usually do with patterns they have made?
ali

AUQuilter 05-14-2013 11:00 AM

Pass them along to a quilting friend, offer them here on the QB as a PIF (pay it forward) or once you have met selling requirements, post them here on the QB for sale.

DebraK 05-14-2013 11:12 AM

I don't have a lot of patterns, but I would do the same as AUQuilter. I can find almost anything I want to do, online, and then figure it out for myself. i don't have any relatives that would be interested in quilt patterns, so no reason save.

icul8rg8r 05-14-2013 11:25 AM

It's hard for me to throw anything a way, so personally I'd probably keep it, file it, just-in-case I needed it later. That said, my husband HATES clutter and forces me to go through my "keep files" once or two before filing and each time I am usually able to cut the stack in half. Same with clothes - if I haven't worn something in over a year (or two or three), why do I keep it? He's constantly "thinning" my closet!

Oh, and I've been able to suffer through it by telling myself I can always buy something new! Better! Improved!

Nammie to 7 05-14-2013 11:53 AM

Since you know you probably won't use them again go ahead and decide to "get rid of them" either by gifting to a quilting friend or even donating to a local quilt guild if not selling them on the QB. Why keep what you have no further use for.

BellaBoo 05-14-2013 12:01 PM

I take them to guild where we swap/loan patterns.

isewman 05-14-2013 12:04 PM

YES I, do. I don't have that many pattern from quilts, I made. I may go back and make the quilt again, if I like the pattern. Or maybe the same pattern, I will do again, but with a little more difference in design

Pat625 05-14-2013 12:41 PM

I I really like it I would probably scan and save on the computer or flash drive...I have tons of old magazines the I will take to the local guild after I scan...

ube quilting 05-14-2013 12:45 PM

You think you will use it again. Well if it is gone you have to choose a new pattern to try.:D

I keep three or four go to patterns for fast piecing and that I like to make for when I need something fast. TATW, Ohio Star, Drunkards path and the simple 9P. These can be made in any size and I change them up by doing different borders on them so they are always 'new'.

Then there are the three huge binders filled with inspiration quilt patterns that I love to browse through to find some new technique or pattern to make. I will never make them all but I'm giving it a try!

If you really haven't used them for a while, why not replace them with something new!!!
peace

charsuewilson 05-14-2013 01:28 PM

I keep mine (or try to). I'm not sure I have them all. I have very few purchased patterns. Most of my quilts are original designs or well established block patterns. I have a notebook of graph paper where I sketch out patterns. Some are enlarged from published patterns. On the latter, I keep at least the original pattern, but not necessarily the enlargement.