Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you keep a 'quilt log'? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-keep-quilt-log-t268156.html)

Vicki1212 07-30-2015 02:42 AM

Do you keep a 'quilt log'?

Besides photos, does anyone keep a log of all the quilts you make? For example, the fabric range used, pattern and designer, when it was made, who it was gifted/sold to, the finished size, etc? I was wondering if it was worth doing?

QuiltingHaven 07-30-2015 03:04 AM

I keep a daily diary in a note book - date, time and briefly what I did for the day: Like this: 7/30/2015 - 10:00-11:30 AM - cut out fabrics black and red for the "Quick Quilt". I have notebooks from when I started in 2011 when I started quilting. I am a retired teacher and administrator; had to keep daily notes and lesson plans so I just carried this over to my quilting.

quilterpurpledog 07-30-2015 03:17 AM

No, but I think I wish I had. I do have a huge scrap pile to show for my efforts! Is that a record of sorts?

zennia 07-30-2015 03:34 AM

I do the same thing that QuiltingHaven does. I just bought a new agenda notebook for next year. Its fun looking back to see just what I have or have not finished over time.

QuiltMom2 07-30-2015 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog (Post 7271579)
No, but I think I wish I had. I do have a huge scrap pile to show for my efforts! Is that a record of sorts?

I'm right there with you!!

gramajo 07-30-2015 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog (Post 7271579)

I make a string block from scraps pf each quilt I make. Eventually I'll have enough blocks to make a memory quilt for me.

Vicki1212 07-30-2015 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo (Post 7271605)
I make a string block from scraps pf each quilt I make. Eventually I'll have enough blocks to make a memory quilt for me.

That is such an awesome idea!!

I have only made 4 quilts so far (newbie) so I think I'm going to start a diary/log too. The diary will probably also help for those days when I need a bit of encouragement to sit down in front of my machine. There are a few here and there :o

ManiacQuilter2 07-30-2015 04:13 AM

No, I don't. I just have photos to remind me of the quilts I have made.

sandrab64 07-30-2015 04:54 AM

I have a 3-ring binder. On each sheet I indicate quilt name, date, occasion, pattern, size, who its for and why, fabric line used if applicable, and a picture of finished quilt and, hopefully, person it was gifted to. I also cut 2x2 inch squares of each fabric piece (or as many as I can) and sew them in a line right on the page. Sheet then goes in a sheet protector and into the binder. Love looking through my book to see what I have done! When I get them, I will tape the thank you note on to the back of each sheet!

ckcowl 07-30-2015 04:58 AM

I keep a quilt journal ( on my 4th or 5th one now) that includes sketches or pattern/book/designer information if I used a commercial source. Swatches of the fabrics used, date started, any pertinent notes along the journey, struggles, changes etc. batting choice, backing, materials cost to make it, date finished, if appraised- a copy of the appraisal ; pictures of the quilt, top, back & detail of quilting. if gifted to whom & occasion, if donated to whom & value, if sold, to whom, for how much & date. And, sometimes a copy of the label if its special.