Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you know before you start (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-know-before-you-start-t150580.html)

EagarBeez 09-05-2011 02:35 PM

I have a quilt planned and who it's for. I also have purchased some as the price keeps increasing. I only have to fill in solids when I get to the next intended quilt

quilter1430 09-05-2011 02:43 PM

I keep a notebook of projects I would like to make because there are so many ideas running through my head. Then, when it's time to make a new project, look at your notebook and figure out what is necessary, like quilts for loved ones, gifts, etc. Chances are you will find another project you will want to make just as well later on, and maybe it's for a specific purpose instead of something for a wall you don't know where you'll put it.

fabric_fancy 09-05-2011 02:46 PM

all my large pieces have a home.

i am in an art collective (every one has different media that they enjoy working with) and every month we have a small piece challenge to expand on our talents and these never have a home.

i do the small pieces to try new methods or to expand on a new concept before working on a large scale model.

Robinmg 09-05-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
I have the need then make the quilt.

Same here.

ssgramma 09-05-2011 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know when I am making something for my hanger/shelf in the living room :-)

Maggiemay 09-05-2011 03:29 PM

I am more of a project quilter. I usually have a specific project/place/recipient in mind before I start a quilt.

Jennifer22206 09-05-2011 03:31 PM

most of the time I do have an idea of what I'm going to make/where to put it/who to give it to before I make it - but there are definitely some times that I just make something because I WANT to!

slk350 09-05-2011 07:12 PM

If I make them for a certain wall I need to have the right colors or a bed quilt needs to match the room. If I make baby quilts I usually like to know their color scheme. But sometimes I just make them.

Happy Tails 09-06-2011 02:56 AM

LOLOLOL me too!!!!

Originally Posted by nance-ell
Are you kidding? I don't even know what I'm going to make when I buy fabric! lol You expect me to know what I'm going to do with it???? :shock:

granny216 09-06-2011 03:08 AM

I have made oodles of quilts...I never know where they are going most times. I have made quilts as wedding gifts and asked what color they might like (asked family) and then choose the fabrics I like in the color range. I make up a block and if I don't like it I switch some of the colors. I will not make a quilt I don't like. If I don't want the quilt for myself I won't make it. I've got lots of blocks and practice pieces that I plan to put into a quilt someday...and one of the kids will just love it!! And by the way, I hardly ever know what I'm going to do with that fabulous fabric I buy....my fabric room will prove that. So much fabric, so little time. I think I could open a quilt shop down there.