Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you know how to make a "picture" frame? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-know-how-make-%22picture%22-frame-t50397.html)

eightylady 06-19-2010 02:26 PM

Some of the Doll Quilts look like works of art. Has anyone ever been so proud of a piece made of scraps that you wish you knew how to find a frame to fit it...without paying lots more than it's worth at a framing store? Thanks!

Maride 06-19-2010 02:33 PM

Michael's have shadow boxes in many sizes. I like to mount quilts in shadow boxes because there is never contact with the glass.

katier825 06-19-2010 02:37 PM

I don't know if Michael's still carries them, but they used to have pairs of framing wood that you can purchase 2 sets of sizes you need and assemble them yourself. For instance, you might need 2 sides 12" and 2 sides 16". They just lock together and glue.

If Michael's doesn't carry them, try art or framing stores online.

sharon b 06-19-2010 02:37 PM

Could you use trim from Lowes , Menards, Home Depot, cut it down to size, glue the corners with wood glue .Get a piece glass cut to size , can't think of the name but they sell the hooks/fastners that swing side to side to hold the back, and glass on . Does any of this make sense :wink: :lol: LOL

amma 06-19-2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Could you use trim from Lowes , Menards, Home Depot, cut it down to size, glue the corners with wood glue .Get a piece glass cut to size , can't think of the name but they sell the hooks/fastners that swing side to side to hold the back, and glass on . Does any of this make sense :wink: :lol: LOL

You can even get the workers at some of these places to cut the trim for you, they charge a very low fee for this :D:D:D

ghostrider 06-19-2010 03:29 PM

The trend in art quilting is to mount small works on a stretched artist's canvas, usually painted in a coordinating color, and then hung without a frame. Some shows even require them to be mounted like that. It would work just as well for doll quilts.

amma 06-19-2010 03:33 PM

How do you mount them on the canvas ghostrider?

Maride 06-19-2010 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
I don't know if Michael's still carries them, but they used to have pairs of framing wood that you can purchase 2 sets of sizes you need and assemble them yourself. For instance, you might need 2 sides 12" and 2 sides 16". They just lock together and glue.

Yes. Michael's has them. You are talking about stretchers. I do framing work of needle work for my friends because we don't trust framers and I get the stretchers for needlepoint pieces. I just got some for a piece a friend brought me last week to get mounted. I have done quilt like that too.

katier825 06-19-2010 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Maride

Originally Posted by katier825

Yes. Michael's has them. You are talking about stretchers. I do framing work of needle work for my friends because we don't trust framers and I get the stretchers for needlepoint pieces. I just got some for a piece a friend brought me last week to get mounted. I have done quilt like that too.

Not stretchers, pieces of framing - mouldings. I picked mahogany.

ghostrider 06-19-2010 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by amma
How do you mount them on the canvas ghostrider?

Lyric Kinard, one of my very favorite fiber artists, has several tutorials on mounting small textile art pieces. The one for canvas is down at the bottom. You can get gallery wrapped (just means the staples are on the backside so they don't show) canvas at Michael's and use JoAnn's coupons. http://www.lyrickinard.com/tutorials.html