Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you know what they are called. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-know-what-they-called-t206142.html)

sandy l 11-17-2012 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tothill (Post 5661097)
Once years ago I had nylon thread that kept slipping off the spool.

I used a condom with the end cut off. It worked like a charm.

LOL! I just wiped up coffee from the front of my shirt, what a hoot:D

Silver Needle 11-17-2012 04:10 AM

Got to show DH this thread. Anyhoo, I use knee high nylons that I cut off; used or new. Of course the used ones have been washed . Don't want stinky feet smell on the thread

mary705 11-17-2012 04:26 AM

LOL, now that's what I call Safe Sewing

lclang 11-17-2012 05:30 AM

In a pinch, or if you are a long way from a place to buy thread nets, just take a nylon stocking and cut a hunk out and sort of measure how large you want it to be and cut off what you want and sew it to fit your spool of thread. It doesn't need to be really tight, just enough to control the thread as it comes off the spool. It works and is FREE!

Mimiqwerty 11-17-2012 07:49 AM

I bought some years ago, and they were called thread bras. Creates an interesting mental image, doesn't it?

cjaneky 11-17-2012 07:53 AM

As often as I use different threads, I simply went to the dollar store and purchased a bag of the little hair elastic thingys....they come in different colors and there are so many of them, for $1.00.. if you loose em it's no big deal...just slip one over the spool it holds the thread in place till you use it again, I also use them on bobbins as well...

Bobbielinks 11-17-2012 08:08 AM

For the thread cones I use knee-highs that I have cut the toe out of.

topstitch 11-17-2012 08:16 AM

That florist must not have understood what you are talking about because my shop use to get at least 5 types of flowers that had the netting on them. I recently ordered a BQ from a local shop and when I picked it up these nets were all over the floor along with lots of stems and foliage. They had just gotten a flower delivery and were cleaning and conditioning the new stems. Could you call another shop?

catmcclure 11-17-2012 08:42 AM

Take a $.95 shower scrubby apart. It's about a yard and a half of net in a tube. Cut off however much you need. This works for the large cones.

Happy Tails 11-17-2012 08:45 AM

OMG LOLOLOL that struck me hilariously funny!!! I've never used a condom in my life, now at 57, I'm gonna buy them for thread covers, lollolol why do I find this so funny? Thanks for the laugh!!!!!