Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you like "Bernina's Big Book of Quilting"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-like-berninas-big-book-quilting-t314229.html)

LadyAg 02-11-2021 04:38 PM

Do you like "Bernina's Big Book of Quilting"?

I am pretty new to my Bernina 770qe, so I was wondering if you think Bernina's Big Book of Quilting is really helping you get the most out of quilting on your Bernina. Is it with the $80?

Thanks!

sewingsuz 02-11-2021 06:31 PM

I never bought that . I did fine and jusr use you manual.

SusieQOH 02-12-2021 06:21 AM

I didn't even know about it.
I have the same machine and have gotten WONDERFUL tutorials from youtube. Just a few: Bernina Jeff, Robin Curd, Sew Mastery, many others.
Love this machine so much!!!

Lady Ag- that book may be a good resource though. But I'm a visual learner so the tutorials help me the most. I rarely even look at my book that came with the machine.

Ladywingnut 02-12-2021 06:56 AM

The Bernina books are beautiful, however, very pricey. I don't think that they are worth it. A subscription to Crafts for a beginner would be more logical to me. Or even better, The Quilt Show on the web. When I was really wanting to expand my skills, I got books from the library.
I got The Big Book of Feet at a yard sale, which I was pretty disappointed with.
There are tons of free YouTube videos out there, you should take some time to explore what's out there first. You might be really glad that you did.

sewingpup 02-12-2021 07:31 AM

Don't know about that specific book, I was lucky years ago and bought the three book series of Bernina books entitled "Bernina Feetures" A guide to Presser Feet, Accessories, and Attachments. It was a very comprehensive guide to each foot . The sections on each foot would list the various techniques that that foot could be used for, give directions for each technique and also list other feet that could do the same technique. It was most helpful when doing any type of decorative stitching or construction stitching for example french seams, mock flat-felled Seam. etc. I will never ever get rid of my volumes as they are just too much of a great reference. I know a lot of folks thought the price was too high but I was working at the time and could afford them. I actually found them useful also when using my Viking as there were similar feet for that machine too.

sewingpup 12-13-2023 09:51 AM

Bernina has those ebooks on their website too. I have used them as workbooks. Also so many you tubes Look for the mastery workbooks on the bernina website.

RedGarnet222 12-13-2023 10:46 AM

Since you are new to quilting, the book might be just what you need to get to know not only your machine but the possibilities of technics that can be used to make and finish your quilts and other projects. I have never seen this book. Perhaps you could talk to the salesperson in the store and see what they have to say. Maybe there is a class that came with your machine that the book accompanies? That would be really cool.
I think there are people who love to read and do the step by step and then there are those who watch a video and that is enough. Because they have done other things that relate to settings and needles, ect. I like to read all the way through a book when I get it. That way I know where to get the written instructions when I need it. After all, you don't know what the machine will do until it is spelled out.

dunster 12-13-2023 11:12 AM

Some of the Bernina books are available on ebay or etsy for much less.

dunster 12-18-2023 09:50 AM

spam reported from Bernadette1

mkc 12-19-2023 06:13 AM

mandafj's post is spam - reported. Do NOT click the link in the post.