Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which do you like best for quilting...laser light or stylus (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-like-best-quilting-laser-light-stylus-t180227.html)

kapatt 02-21-2012 07:33 PM

Which do you like best for quilting...laser light or stylus

I have a b-line frame with a Viking Mega Quilter machine. Up until now, I've always quilted free hand. Recently I decided to use pantographs so I bought a laser light and a few patterns. I've enjoyed using the pantographs. As I looked around the web, I looked at the ez stylus and the ez quilting templates. I was wondering if anyone used the EZ Stylus and templates and whether you like them better than the laser lights.

How does the stylus work? It looks like the tip fits into the groove of the template but it looks like it could easily stray out of the template.

nightquilter 02-21-2012 08:07 PM

I have a lazer.I to thought of a stylus and the templates, my only drawback was the cost.

JustAbitCrazy 02-21-2012 08:17 PM

You are correct--the stylus does fit into the grooves. I use mine very slowly and carefully so it does not come out of the groove, and I don't bend long thin points inside the board on some patterns by bashing into them with the stylus. I don't even screw it down--I just let it hold in with gravity. They are pricey, but the quilting comes out PERFECT---like it was computer guided, if you are careful not to start the wrong way at an intersection.

DebraK 02-21-2012 11:28 PM

I don't want to pay for, or store, templates, so I am happy with a laser stylus. It is all personal preference. I think you may find templates limiting after freehand, but you never know ;-)

MaryLane 02-22-2012 12:05 AM

On the HQ they are called Groovy Boards and I love them. I just don't have the talent to follow a panto. I couldn't even color in the lines when I was child.

Hockeyrabbit 02-22-2012 03:20 AM

R and S boards sell a stylus for much cheaper than the EZ quilts. Not sure if there is a difference in quality, but from what you save buying the stylus you could get another groovy board or two.

jcrow 02-22-2012 03:52 AM

I have a Bernina 830 & it came with a long arm table. It has a stylist pen. I bought a book of templates.I have never taken the table out of the boxes because I'm scared of laq. Can I buy a laser for this? I am very intimidated by my table.

quilticing 02-22-2012 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 4996974)
I have a Bernina 830 & it came with a long arm table. It has a stylist pen. I bought a book of templates.I have never taken the table out of the boxes because I'm scared of laq. Can I buy a laser for this? I am very intimidated by my table.

"NO FEAR"! Really- face that fear. Practice on muslin or charity quilts. You're missing all the fun.

AliKat 02-22-2012 01:35 PM

Have tried the Groovy Boards, as HQ calls them. Too expensive for me and then I'd have to store the boards when not in use ... and of course, I'd want two of each so that it would be easier to assemble the pieces in a consistent manner.

That being said, a friend of mine bought the HQ stylus and her hubby made her boards using his router and it worked great. He had the talent and they had the room to store them.

ali

dmyers 02-22-2012 08:16 PM

I have both a laser and the Circle Lord stylus installed. I enjoy using CL the most. I store my boards behind the frame out of the way.