Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you like Connecting Threads batiks ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-like-connecting-threads-batiks-t184199.html)

katydidkg 03-28-2012 03:25 AM

Do you like Connecting Threads batiks ?

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has used batiks from Connecting Threads ? Do you like the fabric, are they thin or good quality and are the colors colorfast or do they need to be pre-washed ? Thanks

PaperPrincess 03-28-2012 04:22 AM

I have used them, and I like them. Some folks say that they are thinner than some of their other batiks, but I think that the weight of batik varies even at my LQS and the CT are no thinner. As far as colorfastness, I think all fabrics need to be washed, regular cottons for shrinkage and the batiks to remove any excess dye. I would wash any saturated colors for sure no matter where I purchased them.

sewgray 03-28-2012 05:32 AM

Yes, yes and yes.

Lori S 03-28-2012 05:38 AM

I guess it would depend on what your expectations are in batiks. I have some ... and not overly thrilled. There are so much better ( the designs with in the fabric). I was given a big box of them and found them to be a bit boring and not the "center piece" fabric. I will use them but in combination with other batiks.
As for the prewashing... never ..ever ...trust a batik not to run or bleed no matter who the manufacture is.

QuiltingKrazy 03-28-2012 05:40 AM

Although I have not personally bought their batiks, I LOVE everything else I have bought from them!
fabric and thread!

dunster 03-28-2012 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5096245)
I have used them, and I like them. Some folks say that they are thinner than some of their other batiks, but I think that the weight of batik varies even at my LQS and the CT are no thinner. As far as colorfastness, I think all fabrics need to be washed, regular cottons for shrinkage and the batiks to remove any excess dye. I would wash any saturated colors for sure no matter where I purchased them.

I couldn't have said it better.

Candace 03-28-2012 07:51 AM

No, I don't like them at all and was very disappointed with how flimsy and thin they are. I don't understand how people can say they think they're similar to LQS, quality, batiks. They are like night and day to me. Hoffman, Island and other LQS batiks just feel and look so different to me. I have a FQ bundle of Connecting Threads batiks sitting because I have to find a project to use them in because I don't want to mix them in with my "nice" batiks.

crafty pat 03-28-2012 08:04 AM

I have and I love them. They are not as thick as others I have used but they make a much softer quilt.

katydidkg 03-28-2012 08:06 AM

Thanks for your quick responses. I was considering buying batiks from CT, because of the price, but now probably will buy from a LQS for better quality. I've never sewn with batiks, love the colors. Thank you again.

MaryLane 03-28-2012 01:49 PM

I actually have a project right now that is a mixture of CT batiks and some from LQS. I read this thread and went and looked. I could not tell the difference in the blocks. I looked at the FQs I had left after some investigation I could find a difference. Now, all of my fabrics have been washed and starched. That could be what makes the difference.

I am not a fan of batiks in general and would not be sewing with them if I paid full price. I bought the CT collection half off at Christmas and added some more expensive pieces to the collection for the quilt I am making. I can't wait to be done! It is a gift but I pretty much hate it.