Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you like the fabric pricing trend? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-like-fabric-pricing-trend-t93347.html)

Texasjunebug 01-23-2011 09:14 PM

I'm noticing more and more that fabric pricing is going from "yard" to "units." Sites are now advertising ?$4.85/unit - which currently means "1/2 yard." I hate this change trend. Remember when all of us could shop for a pound of coffee - and now the one pound can is 11 ounces? This is happening in everything from cereal boxes to canned goods. It's the genius marketing to make inflation seem not so painful. Either way, we're taking it in the budget - and I don't like it.

What do you think?

cjomomma 01-23-2011 09:16 PM

I don't like it one bit! I've been complaining for months about this. They keep the price the same but give less for our buck.

sweet 01-23-2011 09:17 PM

I don't like it either. I want to know the price per yard.

amma 01-23-2011 09:17 PM

I find myself looking all over the pages anymore just to double check if the prices are by the yd or 1/2 yd... I don't like this trend at all :(

Texasjunebug 01-23-2011 09:26 PM

I'm thinking to tell the manufacturers to belly up to the bar, and keep the one yard standard - everything including patterns are based on yardage. I'm too old (or maybe stubborn) for this crap. Before you can bat an eyelash, a "unit" will mean 1/3 yard. It will get to the point, we're buying in inches, then who's going to perfect cutting a true 5 inches at purchase? Some things just can't be regulated that closely - unless the consumer loses, again. At some point, I'll just tell them to forget it. Market to somebody that cares.

Cuilteanna 01-23-2011 10:11 PM

I know at least one that prices by the Quarter yard! Really annoying,

dunster 01-23-2011 10:15 PM

I've only seen it done on a few web sites so far. I don't buy from them.

Grammy o'5 01-23-2011 10:21 PM

Thanks for the info! I didn't know they did that at all! I'll pay attention to that when I do go fabric shopping (or is it only online?) Guess I don't do enough shopping! :lol: LOL! ... and I know I don't ... right now my budget can't handle it no matter how it's priced. :(

Annaquilts 01-23-2011 10:24 PM

It is hard on us as food doesn't go as far as it used to. Fabric is pricey. I am keeping my stash and not reselling. It is frustrating especially when I like to do donation quilts for the millitary. Between the cost of materials and shipping I am definitely limited.

zennia 01-24-2011 01:22 AM

I almost found this out the hard way. I was shopping on line for what I thought was a great sale until I checked my final balance. Everything was priced by the half yard. I just clicked off the site. If they dont want to show real price I dont want their fabric.
Food is another story. I remember when a can of tuna made lunch for all of us.