Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you like the Fons & Porter quilting marking pencils and chalk markers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-like-fons-porter-quilting-marking-pencils-chalk-markers-t69021.html)

craftybear 10-08-2010 08:03 AM

Do you like the Fons & Porter quilting marking pencils and chalk markers?

PMY in QCA-IL 10-08-2010 08:27 AM

I like their marking pencils VERY MUCH. They are easy to use and the marks stay on long enough for me. I actally have been buying these with JoAnn's 50% off coupons so now I have two of the pencils - one with white and one with the grey leads so I don't need to change leads (also an extra supply of leads for each). I've tried many marking tools over 25 + years of quilting and think these are the best so far for marking quilting patterns.

amma 10-08-2010 08:41 AM

I like their pencils, have never tried the chalk :D:D:D

craftybear 10-08-2010 10:02 AM

Amma, thank you

thanks for your information! I sure appeciate it

Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
I like their marking pencils VERY MUCH. They are easy to use and the marks stay on long enough for me. I actally have been buying these with JoAnn's 50% off coupons so now I have two of the pencils - one with white and one with the grey leads so I don't need to change leads (also an extra supply of leads for each). I've tried many marking tools over 25 + years of quilting and think these are the best so far for marking quilting patterns.

luvTooQuilt 10-08-2010 10:03 AM

I love the white one... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

newquilter10 10-08-2010 10:37 AM

I love the chalk and have had better luck with that than the pencils and pens.

scowlkat 10-08-2010 04:56 PM

I love the pencils. I didn't want to pay the price for them so ordered the refills, one white and gray, and went to Wal-Mart and bought a package of 3 mechanical pencils for about $3 and use them. Be sure to buy a 9 mm mechanical pencil.

NJH 11-25-2014 10:19 AM

Fons & Porter chalk pencil

Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL (Post 1693865)

How do you change the chalk in the Fons & Porter chalk pencil? I know this may seem silly, however, there were no instructions on the package and I am at a loss for how to change the chalk or install new chalk into the pencil. The top does not turn to control the chalk. Perhaps I might have a defective unit. In any case, please help!!! thank you.

HouseDragon 11-25-2014 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by NJH (Post 6983828)
How do you change the chalk in the Fons & Porter chalk pencil? I know this may seem silly, however, there were no instructions on the package and I am at a loss for how to change the chalk or install new chalk into the pencil. The top does not turn to control the chalk. Perhaps I might have a defective unit. In any case, please help!!! thank you.

Your chalk pencil is defective: it should work just like the lead pencil.

I love these pencils and have one of each. When marking lines for a jelly roll race quilt, I switched back and forth as the line went over dark/light strips.

They wash completely out of the quilt.

Now they are the only marking pens I use.

Geri B 11-26-2014 04:33 AM

I have the chalk marker with the various colors of chalk....there is a ring near the tip..move it to release the chalk. I am not near it now, so this is from memory....I know you do not twist like a mechanical pencil, just move that (yellow?) ring for release....