Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you make your own binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-make-your-own-binding-t100988.html)

karenpatrick 02-19-2011 07:40 AM

I make my own using 2 1/2" strips, folding it in half and pressing. I used to add the top piece to the quilt top by machine and sew the back side on by hand. But... I just bought a new foot that is supposed to attach both sides at the same time but I haven't tried it out yet. Should be able to as my latest quilt is almost at that stage.

tomilu 02-19-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick
I make my own using 2 1/2" strips, folding it in half and pressing. I used to add the top piece to the quilt top by machine and sew the back side on by hand. But... I just bought a new foot that is supposed to attach both sides at the same time but I haven't tried it out yet. Should be able to as my latest quilt is almost at that stage.

I do the same way. What is the new foot you bought and for which machine?

bizzyquilter 02-19-2011 07:44 AM

I make my own binding. like to match the fabric to the quilt. I cut 2-1/2 strips and iron in half.

quilter64779 02-19-2011 07:44 AM

I make my own cut 2.5" strips and miter them together. Measure both ways on quilt then get my total I need and make sure I have enough made. I then press in half and I have a plastic bag attached to my ironing pad next to machine and I put it in it as I press in half. Then sewing on quilt it comes out easy and don't have to roll it. If I make it and not yet ready to bind I will roll and pin the end and lay with quilt top until ready to bind.

Gwyn 02-19-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I make my own. I cut it 2.5 inches and fold it in half.

I only cut my bindings 1.25 - 2", but I don't fold in half. I sew on to edge with right sides together, iron straight out, turn over and fold up to edge of quilt, then fold so fold meets stitching, pin and iron. Then I sew from the front using a hemming stitch so I am sure the back is caught.

KathyKat 02-19-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by candi
I make my own too, never knew you could buy it made, lol. But I cut it into 2 1/4 inches strips and join them on the diagonal, fold lengthwise in half and press and then attach to the quilt attempting to miter the corners :mrgreen:

This is the way i do it also. "attempting" to miter the corners is the correct word...some of mine miter so easily and others I struggle with.

nannya54 02-19-2011 08:09 AM

I make my own to match the quilt then if it's for a biggie, not a wall hanging size, I send it along with the top for my quilter to sew it on.

nannya54 02-19-2011 08:10 AM

I make my own to match the quilt then if it's for a biggie, not a wall hanging size, I send it along with the top for my quilter to sew it on. ;)

catrancher 02-19-2011 08:10 AM

Is there another way?

Terryl 02-19-2011 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by candi
I make my own too, never knew you could buy it made, lol. But I cut it into 2 1/4 inches strips and join them on the diagonal, fold lengthwise in half and press and then attach to the quilt attempting to miter the corners :mrgreen:

What Candi said :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: