Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you own the 10 minute block book.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-own-10-minute-block-book-t201024.html)

Deborahlees 09-20-2012 10:45 AM

Do you own the 10 minute block book....

Do you own the 10 minute block book and if so do you make quilts from it.....
I have watched a couple of Suzanne McNeill youtube videos and find the whole
concept very interesting.....but wonder if the book is worth the $15-$20.....
asking price...have searched the internet and can not find it anywhere cheaper.....
Do you feel that you are using too much fabric for the final block, with her use of
folded fabric, or is it really worth it in the long run......:p

jcrow 09-20-2012 11:14 AM

I own both of her books. They go into great detail about how to make the 10 minute blocks, but I think that all you need to do is watch the video. I watch the video when I make her blocks, not read the books. So, I wasted a lot of money. Don't buy the books, you don't need to. You can just draw a diagram on a piece of paper while watching the YouTube and you'll have the same instructions, pretty much. IMO.

ShabbyTabby 09-20-2012 11:16 AM

I made a quilt from the 10 min. block without buying the book. Just watched her video several times until I got it down. I then practiced on scraps for the final look. I love the blocks and the quilt went together very quickly.

dunster 09-20-2012 12:29 PM

I hadn't realized there were books. Look at Amazon to find lower prices. Each book is only 36 pages, reviews are mixed. I hate to comment on a book that I haven't actually seen, but based on the reviews I wouldn't personally buy one.

willferg 09-21-2012 06:11 AM

I bought the second book because it gave a review of the process and then gave several alternatives. I've never made even one. Well, I made the basic model twice and each time had a few problems. I like the look but don't love the process. Ah, well, live and learn!

Handcraftsbyjen 09-21-2012 07:32 AM

If you are going to buy a 10 min block book, buy the second one. It contains more variations. Also, her 5 min block book has some nice stuff and I'd recommend that.

Jim 09-21-2012 11:44 AM

I was thinking of buying the second book but have made several quilts using the method just from watching the video

BellaBoo 09-21-2012 06:07 PM

I have the two ten minute block and the new five minute block book. They are well written and easy to follow all the steps. I like the Five minute block patterns the best.

MimiBug123 09-22-2012 11:26 AM

I have the book, but could have made the quilt just by watching the videos.

YukonViv 09-23-2012 09:55 AM

I have the book and I'm pleased with it. I think I only paid $12 for it at our local quilt shop.

I prefer the book to the tutorial. I don't live on my computer though, it's hard enough to get my teenagers to cut down on computer time, and I don't want to have to rely on it when I'm sewing. With the book I can piece at any time or any place (at a friend's, at a retreat, etc). Plus the instructions include step by step photos so you can follow it quite easy.

If you want to add to your reference library definitely get the book, it's well worth it.