Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you own this serger? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-own-serger-t317708.html)

Nesie 03-05-2022 11:57 AM

Do you own this serger?

Do any of you have the Brother 1634DX serger? It has a lot of great reviews but the people that don't like it REALLY don't like it. I already have 3 machines for different purposes and my Janome 6600 has a respectable stitch for knits but I'd like to have a dedicated machine for pillowcases, facing etc. Right now my Joann is running a great sale with very competitive pricing. I have to say I have a small Brother Embroidery machine and I adore it so that's why I'm considering this model.
​​​​​​

NoraB 03-13-2022 10:15 AM

I have a Brother 1500S that I love, so went ahead and purchased the Brother serger too. I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but have no problems with it. It may be a bit noisy, and you have to thread manually, but for the price difference, it is worth it to me. I just keep the same serger thread in it, but it came with a DVD and instruction manual that were both easy to use. I also purchased it for pillowcases and miscellaneous. Works for me, good pricing and great piece of machinery! I think I paid about $150 with free shipping. Good luck!

Stitchnripper 03-13-2022 12:02 PM

I have an older 1034D. Don’t know if it is similar but I’m very happy with mine. I did have to find a video tutorial for thrashing but then it was t a problem

homefrontgirl 03-13-2022 12:06 PM

I have the 1034D and it's been running strong for about 5 years. I like it. I use it for sewing knits. Just made a dress with it yesterday.

Nesie 03-13-2022 12:29 PM

Thanks everyone! I think I may purchase it. I have three machines already, so that was one of the reasons I was asking. I use all my machines for specific purposes and don't feel its overkill. There are some things I'd like to use the serger for. I do make some blouses, pillowcases, and baby items so I think it would serve a purpose in and of itself. My embroidery machine is a Brother and I love it. Price is right too!
Thanks again!

quiltedsunshine 03-13-2022 02:56 PM

As a repair tech, the problem I've found with the cheaper Brother sergers is that they can't hold a timing setting because the metal is not the best quality. They use a softer metal. So when the timing goes out, your repair tech may be able to re-set it, but it won't stay set.

Juki makes a really great serger for a great price, with quality parts. I always recommend a Juki over a cheap Brother or Singer serger.

juliasb 03-14-2022 10:03 AM

I have only had 2 surgers in the past 30 years. The first was a Singer and I was a less expensive model and wore out very quickly. I traded it in while it still had some value and purchased a New Homes, by Janome 134D. It has been a work horse for the last 29 years. I would recommend anything made by Janome.

CMQUILTER 03-15-2022 12:12 PM

I have owned the 1034D for over 8 years. It depends on what you use it for and how much. Mostly I quilt so I don't use it as much as my DSM. Over all I have been happy with it. Sergers are more difficult to work with than sewing machines. I found that the 1034D didn't like sewing on fleece so I use my sewing machine. I spent under $200.00 and think I got my moneys worth.

sewingpup 05-08-2022 09:51 AM

Ha! I think my serger is about 25 years old? It is an interesting story. I had a Viking 500 which I loved but figured it was time to get a fancier machine, so I went to look, they had a deal on the Viking D1, was a bit nervous as it was pretty expensive but got it. When I got home, the dealer called to tell me I had forgotten my serger! What serger, well I did not know, but the promotion included a serger! Anyway, I have had my Viking 905 serger ever since I have had no problems with it since except I did have to replace the knife. It works just fine, I have gone through 4-5 layers of fleece with it, It is just a basic four thread serger and I do have to thread it correctly but I have no reason to upgrade.

FoxyLady 05-08-2022 06:12 PM

I have a Babylock Imagine serger that I have had for years. It is really a workhorse and the best thing about it is-- it is a self-threader. Before you purchase any serger, I would strongly suggest that you consider a serger that does have the self-threading option. You'll never be sorry that you made that decision.