Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which do you pick first? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-pick-first-t38007.html)

k3n 02-26-2010 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Some might find this crazy. OK. Most will find this to be crazy. But I usually pick the pattern first, then buy the fabric to go with it. I don't keep a large stash on hand. I know, bite my tongue you Blasphemer. :oops:

:shock: I'd HEARD that there were ppl out there who did this but didn't know we had one in our midst! :lol: Next you'll be telling me that you finish one project before starting another... :mrgreen:

quiltsRfun 02-26-2010 10:57 AM

When I see fabric I love or that's at a good price, I buy it. Sometimes there will be coordinating fabrics also. Then when I need a new project I go through my stash and choose from there. I might need to fill in a color or two but I kind of like putting it all together and figuring out the pattern.

amma 02-26-2010 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

Some might find this crazy. OK. Most will find this to be crazy. But I usually pick the pattern first, then buy the fabric to go with it. I don't keep a large stash on hand. I know, bite my tongue you Blasphemer. :oops:

:shock: I'd HEARD that there were ppl out there who did this but didn't know we had one in our midst! :lol: Next you'll be telling me that you finish one project before starting another... :mrgreen:

:shock: oh please....say it isn't so :shock: :wink: :lol::lol::lol:

saf45 02-26-2010 11:08 AM

i usually pick my pattern first,then go from there

katier825 02-26-2010 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by amma

Originally Posted by k3n

:shock: oh please....say it isn't so :shock: :wink: :lol::lol::lol:

LOL you're both funny! I admit that I am a fabric addict and generally choose fabrics I just HAVE to have!

The most practical thing would probably be to pick the pattern first, then purchase enough fabric for that pattern. Of course, I usually buy the fabric first, then pick the pattern - which leads me on a wild goose chase to find enough more of the fabric to do it! :)

Mamagus 02-26-2010 11:41 AM

I fall in love with patterns and then go and see what's in my stash to make it work. Nada, zip zilch so I go shopping!

If I find fabric that I MUST buy I have a more difficult time deciding which pattern to use.

Honey 02-26-2010 11:45 AM

My sister doesn't have ANY stash at all!!! To be fair, she has a VERY small appartment and no where to go with it, so she only buys what she needs for a given project. And yes, she finishes one project at a time! As soon as she has enough scraps, she does something with them, too. She was born first so she got all of the organization genes! I have a stash, but I do finish one thing at a time.

pieces 02-26-2010 12:16 PM

I usually pick the pattern first. Then choose the fabrics to go with the pattern. (Before the pattern, I have the person I am making the quilt for in mind.)

elliot 02-27-2010 04:47 AM

Can go either way, it is like finding a great pair of shoes then putting together an outfit to go with them.

mpeters1200 02-27-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

I guess I am crazy too! I don't have the room or the funds for a large stash. My whole stash fits in a large taupe colored plastic shopping sack. I pick the patterns first, haven't made one that wasn't free yet, then I buy just a little bit more than I need. That way, I have options for binding and when I mess up on my cutting, yes that's a when not an if, I don't have to freak out trying to find more. All my my tools, my machines, fabric, the whole lot fit in a coat closet that has to share the room with the coats. And I do finish one at a time too...but I found that I really like projects where there's one in each stage of quilting. I like to be piecing one and then have one on hand to quilt with at night....haven't made it that far yet, but I bet it would be fun to have more than one going at once.