Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-prefer-sew-group-alone-t202008.html)

matraina 10-03-2012 10:36 AM

Alone. I'd be doing too much gabbing otherwise.

asimplelife 10-03-2012 11:12 AM

Alone... I get too easily distracted even when I am alone!

Sewhappygal 10-03-2012 01:57 PM

I generally sew alone. And yes I can get a lot done. But I truly love getting together with other quilters. I learn so much and I get so motivated.

jlm5419 10-03-2012 02:21 PM

I am a rather quiet type person, not very talkative, so even in a group, I don't really get distracted. Sewing at home alone is more convenient because all my stuff is there.

katesnanna 10-03-2012 04:16 PM

We are a small group(3) who meet every second Saturday. We talk, we laugh, we eat, we solve the problems of the world and we try to get in some sewing. Some days are more productive than others. The social benefits are fabulous.

SuzieQuilts 10-03-2012 04:20 PM

I did not do a very good job of posting before, if I came across as harsh. Not everyone has an ideal situation at home, some are lonely or do not get a chance to express themselves. Quilting time is an opportunity to come and be themselves and socialize, in our guild, that is just fine. We are very welcoming and tolerant of many personalities. As I said before, if I have heard enough chatter, I just smile and nod and keep working, as I come for different reasons. I, too, welcome them and are glad they can join us. Because we all come for different reasons then everyone requires tolerance and understanding, when someone is overtalking to the person that does not talk very much.

Tothill 10-03-2012 06:21 PM

I used to go to an embroidery group the first Tuesday of every month. I loved it!

I work full time and the local quilt guild meets during the day, so I cannot go.

I think home situations contribute to whether a group is wanted or needed. I have 4 pets, 2 teens and dh at home. Even if I leave the housework and cooking, someone wants something from me. My 'Me time' is constantly interrupted. If I sew away from home I do not have those distractions.

I have not been to a quilt group, but have done a few weekends with Ron Collins an incredible sewing instructor. You work on your own project, but have Ron available to help as needed. At one retreat, I had one plan and after finding some cotton shirting printed with Hawaiian shirts, wound up making my DH a shirt, Ron was there every step of the way helping me to match the pattern across the front perfectly and perfecting the fit. Without that help, I would never have managed to make such a great fitting shirt.

nstitches4u 10-03-2012 08:37 PM

Our quilt guild had a 4 day quilt retreat a couple of weeks ago. 18 of us had a blast working on our projects and visiting in a beautiful setting---The room where we sewed had floor to ceiling windows overlooking a lake. We all finished some UFOs and many started some new quilts.

I belong to a group that meets once a month to make quilts for Project Linus. A group of ladies from my church gets together once a month to sew for missions. Sewing with friends is fun.