Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you preshrink your batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-preshrink-your-batting-t84780.html)

Candace 12-23-2010 03:20 PM

Prewashing and shrinking Warm and Natural sort of defeats the purpose of using it. It's mainly for that antique look. Other batts will give you a flatter, quilt appearance.

QazyQltr 12-23-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
I almost always use Warm and Natural and have never pre-shunk it. I also have never had a problem with it after washing a quilt.

Same here :-)

Scissor Queen 12-23-2010 03:42 PM

I like to pre-shrink Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. Like every body else said, do not let it agitate!! You'll end up with a giant cotton ball. LOL

cherylynne 12-23-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
I purchased Warm & Natural batting this week at JoAnn's and asked about prewashing it. The sales clerk said to definitely not wash it because it will practically disintegrate. She said a customer had returned what was originally a 2 yard piece of the batting and after washing it it was the size of a ball of yarn. I don't know, since I've never prewashed it, I'm just passing along what she told me.

I prewashed Warn and Natural once and it came out with a slightly rougher finish, but I used it just like I normally would. It probably did shrink some, but I didn't measure it. I couldn't really tell by just looking at it. My mom always preshrinks it with good results. I washed it and dried it by machine.

ckcowl 12-23-2010 04:23 PM

no, never...if i want a batt that isn't going to shrink a little that's what i buy, if i want the soft/fluffy outcome for my quilt i buy warm & natural or Dream Wool and use it out of the package :thumbup: seems like such alot of work to even consider it when you can just buy the batting that is right for your project

lindyline 12-23-2010 04:28 PM

I never prewash my batting, but that's because I use fusible batting.

dunster 12-23-2010 05:26 PM

Warm & Natural comes with instructions on how to pre-wash it. I usually don't, but I did for one quilt, when I didn't want the batting to shrink, and it worked fine. I used the washing machine but didn't agitate.

Lori S 12-23-2010 05:55 PM

If I want the quilt to have the crinkle old fashioned look I do not pre-shrink. If it is something like a table runner or I want to keep the flat appearance that I want to be flat , I always preshrink. I use warm and natural because it holds up the best to preshrinking. ( this is for cotton battings)
As was mentioned earlier do let it soak overnight to fully saturate the fibers , yep it floats , so you will need to reposition a few times. Do not agitate , just spin and put in the dryer.

featherweight 12-23-2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
no, never...if i want a batt that isn't going to shrink a little that's what i buy, if i want the soft/fluffy outcome for my quilt i buy warm & natural or Dream Wool and use it out of the package :thumbup: seems like such alot of work to even consider it when you can just buy the batting that is right for your project

I definately agree with you!!! Why make more work for yourself!!!

BellaBoo 12-23-2010 08:25 PM

No way I'd wash batting before using. I can see one big wad of mess.