Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You PRESS or IRON your Yardage before starting to cut for piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-press-iron-your-yardage-before-starting-cut-piecing-t191437.html)

Neesie 06-11-2012 07:48 AM

I wash, dry, fold. I don't iron, until I'm ready to start cutting the fabric. If I iron and then fold it, I have to RE-iron, before cutting; this just doesn't make sense, to me. I press each seam, before crossing with another seam.

Jingle 06-11-2012 07:49 AM

I prewash all fabrics, except kits, only one, I dry and fold with a ruler and don't need to iron before cutting. If wrinkled I do iron, just press as I piece.

Lori S 06-11-2012 07:50 AM

I have to admit .. I try to press yardage... but really end up ironing. I do use a terry cloth towel on my ironing board that really helps the fabric from being stretched. It works wonders when pressing blocks . I can remove and wash it more often than I would if I just used my regular ironing board cover. I put the towel over the cover and use binder clips or long pins on the underside to hold the towel.

jcrow 06-11-2012 07:51 AM

I never prewash my fabric. But I use Best Press and press/iron my fabirc before using it.

OKLAHOMA PEACH 06-11-2012 07:55 AM

I Press and starch before cutting

bearisgray 06-11-2012 08:17 AM

I iron (with very light steam) washed fabric from the back side - and iron along the grain lines - when ready to use the fabric.

If/when I find a flaw in the fabric, I put a small safety pin on the selvage nearest the problem - and a small safety pin on/over the problem.

So far, I'm not a big fan of starch/sizing. Except for things like kite-shaped pieces. I think fabric should have enough 'body' to stand on its own.

grandmasieg 06-11-2012 08:26 AM

I wash my fabric as I use it. I put the yardage in a mesh bag and wash with a detergent that is free of dyes or frangrance (allergy free, such as Dreft) and do not use fabric softener. I use the "gentle" cycle. I take out of mesh bag, shake, and dry in dryer on the "less dry" cycle until it is almost dry. The dollar store has large zippered mesh bags that I snach up. The washer likes to have at least two mesh bags so that it's balanced. I then starch as I iron the damp yardage and then hang on the clothesline (preferrable outside in the nice weather). When totally dry I start cutting. I do set my seams as I sew. This works for me. I restarch my blocks before I put them together and restarch my backing before quilting. I also throw a color catcher into the mesh bag before washing.

Hugs!
Debbie

quiltstringz 06-11-2012 08:42 AM

I think that when people mention pressing in quilting, they are talking about before your fabric is cut. If your fabric is not ironed if you washed it your cuts will not come out good.

bearisgray 06-11-2012 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 5281366)
I think that when people mention pressing in quilting, they are talking about before your fabric is cut. If your fabric is not ironed if you washed it your cuts will not come out good.

I agree that all fabric should be ironed/pressed before cutting it.
When using paper patterns, I also iron them before using them.

I iron/press my fabric after washing it and before cutting it.

I press seams and blocks as I construct the units.

Jim's Gem 06-11-2012 10:03 AM

I don't pre-wash but I do Iron before cutting up for piecing
I press my seams when constructing my quilts