Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-quilt-yourself-take-someone-t174810.html)

Painiacs 01-07-2012 09:53 PM

I've done both. The big quilts I send out. I put aside a little bit everymonth to help with the costs. The smaller lap size and down I do either SID or crosshatch. I have a bad back and visually impaired so not sure I could do a twin size. My machines are old singers so have larger throat areas. I will attempt a 60 x60 soon. Wish me luck!!

gzuslivz 01-07-2012 10:44 PM

I quilt my small items myself. I am learning how to follow quilt designs. I took a free motion quilting class, but I prefer to use my walking foot. I even do curved designs with the walking foot. My big quilts are done by my long arm quilter-friend. I babysit her dogs in exchange for quilting.

WilliP 01-07-2012 11:35 PM

I am envious of those who have long arm machines and frames . I have quilted a few on the LQS Bailey and have more fun with each one I work on. Right now I am half way through FMQ a full size on my Singer --- need to go buy a new FMfoot for it as mine broke. Tomorrow I will set up my Bernette 46 and FMQ a small quilt from the Northern Cardinal book.

QuiltedCritterLady 01-07-2012 11:37 PM

Well ... I do both. Bear in mind that I am a new quilter, but I have completed five so far. Of those, I quilted the lap quilt and the twins on a Baby Lock Quilter's Choice machine; I took the queen sized ones to a long-arm quilter. I think in the future, my decision will be based on what I plan to do with it. I am planning a quilt right now that will be raffled off by my husband's National Guard unit as a fundraiser. It will definitely go to the long-arm quilter to get a professional finished look.

jitkaau 01-08-2012 05:47 AM

Why not try a simple grid pattern until you gain confidence and experience? Stitch in the ditch is harder than FMQ in my opinion as it is harder to be precisely in the ditch. I do all of my own but was not confident at first. I had many tops that I didn't want to 'ruin' with bad quilting. A friend asked me to help her quilt some charity quilts as it was her cunning plan to get me moving. After I finished the project I was not worried any more and continue to improve. All it takes is practice. Jump in and do some smaller charity quilts first.

omaluvs2quilt 01-08-2012 09:54 AM

I do most of my own up to a queen on a Janome 6600P. It does take a lot of muscle on the bigger ones, so I've sent 1 oversize queen & 1 king to a longarm gal here in town who does amazing work. I've also taken a longarm class at a quilt store in town, but haven't been brave enough to try it yet. Would love a longarm of my own but just don't have the space. I am considering a sweet 16 sit down machine if I can figure out where to put it!

fien777 01-08-2012 10:15 AM

I quilt on my domestic pfaff.
even big quilts and with feathers and scallops and everything.
Not freehand, I'm not good at that.
But with a pattern on paper which I remove after sewing.....ok a lot of work getting the paper off but it's worth the time as I save a lot of money with doing it myself.
I take care that my shoulders are hanging low while quilting ,and be sure the quilt rest mostley on my table and my legs so I won't have a lot of weight on my hands.
The biggest quilt was 104 x 110 inch , but I still had place for a little bigger one

Mariposa 01-08-2012 10:20 AM

I quilt most of mine on my long-arm. Saves me stress on my neck & shoulders~

carolaug 01-08-2012 10:22 AM

I sent two of my first quilts out, but figured if I was going to quilt I was going to invest in a machine that I could do my own. It has paid for its self....I love my 7700 Jamone. Best investment for me...figured I might as well pay myself instead of giving my money away...

MadP 01-09-2012 03:50 AM

I quilt on my domestic machine. Not perfect, can't afford to send out and donate to charity.