Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you refuse to buy fabric from shops in your own state? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-refuse-buy-fabric-shops-your-own-state-t64504.html)

Favorite Fabrics 09-13-2010 06:57 AM

Just wondering if any of you make it a point to refuse to buy fabrics from online shops that are in your own state... so that you don't have to pay sales tax?

kathy 09-13-2010 06:59 AM

if I don't support my state who will? I but from whomever has what I want at the best price. I've always wonderedwhy we don't pay tax on out of state purchases, can you explain?

Favorite Fabrics 09-13-2010 07:02 AM

We don't pay taxes on out-of-state purchases (yet) because the states have not enacted laws requiring merchants to collect taxes on out-of-state sales (yet).

countrymaid 09-13-2010 07:04 AM

But NYS residents are suppose to self disclose purchases made and pay the sales tax when filing their NYS Income tax.

quilter on the eastern edge 09-13-2010 07:05 AM

I shop locally, especially small business that compete with the big box stores. I like to support local business whenever and however I can. If I can't get what I want locally, then I try regionally....... and the area widens until I go international online.

In terms of fabric, I will buy from my LQS if they have the fabric/patterns that I'm looking for. If they do not have it, then I go online.

BTW, sales tax here is 13%. :-(

moonwolf23 09-13-2010 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by countrymaid
But NYS residents are suppose to self disclose purchases made and pay the sales tax when filing their NYS Income tax.

Yeah I wonder how often that happens.
snort

akrogirl 09-13-2010 07:10 AM

No, for a couple of reasons. One, I think it is important to support our local merchants as much as is practical and, two, our states are hurting enough as it is and without our taxes would have to cut back on even more services.

QBeth 09-13-2010 07:12 AM

Massachusetts (sales tax) tried to enforce taxation of items purchased in New Hampshire (no sales tax) by Mass consumers. Mass lost. Pardon me but Ha! Ha!

plainpat 09-13-2010 07:21 AM

Never thought about tax.I shop locally 95% of the time.Prefer to buy here,as long as prices are close to the same.

Guess I don't see the benefit of going by tax.Don't shipping charges & taxes usually add up to about same amount?

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Just wondering if any of you make it a point to refuse to buy fabrics from online shops that are in your own state... so that you don't have to pay sales tax?

Bluphrog 09-13-2010 07:22 AM

I'm like Barbara in that I shop locally first. In fact, if I see something online that I know I just can't live without (how often does that happen to you?), I will call my local LQS and see if they have it or if they can get it. And usually the answer is yes. So though I am paying tax on the items, I am not paying shipping.

I am lucky because I am 15 minutes from one LQS and 30 minutes from another. Also, the LQS that is closest to me has a website, and I can browse and order, then pick it up at the store.