Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you "retire" at some point during the year? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-retire-some-point-during-year-t218831.html)

Aria 04-11-2013 08:09 AM

I never stop quilting! I slow down a little, as I golf 3 - 5 days a week, but I don't stop quilting. I NEED it for my health! :)

crafty pat 04-11-2013 08:12 AM

I quilt and sew year around. My sewing room always has several projects going at once.

SouthPStitches 04-11-2013 08:30 AM

Absolutely and mostly dependent on the weather. Spring is slow to come to the northeast, therefore I think I have the ambition to piece one more quilt top before I close up shop for the summer. Do enjoy hand quilting and plan to take my tops to our cottage so I can quilt on the deck overlooking the lake before it gets too hot.

adamae 04-11-2013 08:36 AM

Quilting slows in spring when yard work is a priority. Since losing DH it is all mine. There are days when weather or arthritis interferes and those are days to quilt. As soon as a/c comes on its just maintain the yard and stay indoors and sew in wonderful natural light that is less common in winter. Sometimes, I resent breaks caused by priorities such as taxes, business and obligatory social functions. DH, an extrovert, thought I was antisocial sometimes. But, when I have to pause my quilting, it is hard to "rev" up again.

Sdwill 04-11-2013 08:36 AM

I still squeeze some quilting in during the summer, but it does slow down a lot. My FIL plants a big garden every year. The planting is about all he can handle, we have to do the weeding and harvesting. He will take care of the tomatoe plants and pick the tomatoes, but that is about it. My DH has also noticed that our dinners are more on the frozen side or takeout during the summer months too.

wolph33 04-11-2013 09:09 AM

I take breaks due to health issues-then go like crazy-then another break,etc.some breaks are a week some are a month-just depends

feline fanatic 04-11-2013 09:25 AM

Back when I handquilted I did tend to do less in the hot months unless I was working on something I felt so compelled to finish that I couldn't bring myself to put it down. But when it is ungawdly hot... no amount of angst over finishing is going to get me to sit under a hot quilt to handquilt so I would piece a lot more in the hot months than quilt. Now that I have a LA and my studio has AC I quilt year round but still do my bindings by hand. So again on those horribly hot humid 90+ days I will probably put the binding off until things cool down a bit.

Jackie Spencer 04-11-2013 09:43 AM

I am retired, and live alone in an Apt. I have a few potted flowers on my steps, but no yard. I quilt year round. I clean 3 houses a week, but if Im home Im in my sewing room.

Retiredandquilting 04-13-2013 02:48 AM

I seem to loose my passion for quilting come Spring - too much else to get done. My passion always returns in the fall.

LenaBeena 04-13-2013 04:02 AM

Summer for us brings many visitors and trips. I sometimes take small projects along, other times browse quilt shops in different locations for ideas.