Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you sell your Bow Tucks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-sell-your-bow-tucks-t55585.html)

tcnmom 07-21-2010 02:50 PM

I have had a request to make a couple of Bow Tucks. What do you charge? I use LQS fabric and the fusible fleece at half price is still over $3 a yard.

Up North 07-21-2010 02:52 PM

I ask 35 or 40 depending on what embellishments I use.

msariano 07-21-2010 03:20 PM

I make totes-not the bow tucks pattern and I charge $40. They are lined and have inside and outside pockets and a magnetic snap. I'm in California, and probably would sell them a little cheaper if I was in a different part of the country.
It seems prices are higher out here and they seem higher in southern california than northern california.

crossginny 07-21-2010 03:30 PM

I've now sold several and get $75 if I make the handbag length straps and $80 if I make the straps shoulder length.

I mostly do custom ones--have even taken the customer with to find the right fabrics for their bag. : )

2K 07-21-2010 03:34 PM

Somebody show me what a Bow Tuck is??? Curious now.

NEVER MIND, (DOH) I found out easy enough. Silly me! :roll:

msariano 07-21-2010 03:39 PM

crossginny, you're making me consider upping my price. They are very well made totes after all.!

kay carlson 07-21-2010 03:52 PM

Today I was at Wally World with three bags to match to buttons. Several people commented on the bags and asked if I made them for sale. Last year a friend made some with quilting shop fabric and had them in a consignment shop for $45-50.

My time is so valuable, I wouldn't even consider selling something for less that $65-70, which in this part of the country means I wouldn't have any buyers. A shop in Escanaba wanted me to make them last year, but I declined.
Healthwise, I have to budget my time and energy. I am so thrilled to be able to make the bag for a special gift.

I have also used the basic design for tote bags. The taller totes are so handy and the design really stands heads above most of the others in the market.

My tip to myself is to purchase the button when I purchase the fabric if not shopping from my stash. A nice button adds the crowning touch. :-)

cjtinkle 07-21-2010 04:06 PM

I haven't seen this pattern, but most of the purse/tote patterns I have specifically say they may not be made for resale. You might check just to be sure.

crossginny 07-21-2010 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
I haven't seen this pattern, but most of the purse/tote patterns I have specifically say they may not be made for resale. You might check just to be sure.

QuiltsIllustrated states on their site that you must include a statement "designed by Quilts Illustrated" with each bag sold.

crossginny 07-21-2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by msariano
crossginny, you're making me consider upping my price. They are very well made totes after all.!

Most don't balk when I explain that it takes me 6 to 8 hours to make one.......and that I'm using the best quality quilting cottons.