Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you sew professionally? (To make money, that is?) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-sew-professionally-make-money-t20290.html)

Tink's Mom 05-19-2009 07:37 PM

I do American Girl Doll Quilts. Baby Quilts, Etc.....

kluedesigns 05-19-2009 08:05 PM

i do.

very rarely do i get to sew for fun any longer. DH has been waiting 3 years for a quilt that is half way done.

Shelley 05-19-2009 08:31 PM

I quilt for others, and I'm starting to make quilts to sell in my Dad's B&B.

kluedesigns 05-19-2009 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley
I quilt for others, and I'm starting to make quilts to sell in my Dad's B&B.

brilliant idea!!

i can just see people snuggling in their room with a quilt and then wanting to bring one home as a memento.

k_jupiter 05-19-2009 10:21 PM

At the speed that I work at (slow), and my rate of pay....

You couldn't afford me.

I quilt because I like it.

tim in san jose

pittsburgpam 05-19-2009 10:37 PM

I've never sold anything. I do have some ideas of supplimenting income as I hope to retire "early" at age 55. I have 10 years to go so maybe I can get some stock made up, enter shows, etc. and start building on that.

k3n 05-19-2009 11:55 PM

I quilt only for fun and for gifts. Maybe one day I'd look at selling but my fear is it would become a chore rather than a pleasure. A few years ago, I thought it would be a great idea to do gardening for people because that's my other passion. The plan was to do planting and light maintenance but I ended up doing heavy digging (then being told thanks and paid off, the client got the fun part of planting) and mowing huge lawns with inadequate mowers etc, etc. I nearly wrecked my back permanently and all for a few pounds an hour! For a while, it put me off gardening completely (I've since got the love back!). I'm worried if I quilted for paying clients, I'd end up doing stuff I hated because that's what THEY wanted. I'm lucky though that I don't have to make a buck (DH does that!) so I have the choice.

K x

Covered in Threads 05-21-2009 03:27 PM

I have sold items for 25+years, doing local craft shows, selling to special clients, etc... Lately, I have been commissioned to make history quilts - so far 10. This would consist of a collection of t-shirts that a person had kept over the years to make into a full or larger quilt. Rather rustic looking and two sided but I get such a kick out of seeing all the different places, countries, and activities a child or sport enthustiast attends. My favorites are the ones a mother collects for her child that is soon to graduate from high school. This would consists of t-shirts from when they were toddlers up to their current age. At the craft/art shows I do a number of baby quilts, wall hangings, original stuffed animals, and the list goes on. I love doing the "arts & crafts" shows because I can chose when and which one I want to do. My hubby & I have traveled through 5 different states, visiting parks and doing the shows along the way. Pays for all the traveling, food, entertainment and new fabric stash. Fun, fun and you meet some of the nicest people at craft shows.

Quilting Aggi 05-21-2009 04:04 PM

I have sold quilts, placemat sets, Christmas things, my one of a kind tote bags and much more. I haven't made or sold much this year (in fact nothing yet) as I have been face and eyes into my new house and renos. My sewing studio will be up and running please God in a couple weeks and I will start in on what I want to sell for the upcoming Christmas season.

I also plan between now and the Fall season to have enough money saved up for my embroidery machine.

azdesertrat 05-21-2009 04:11 PM

I quilt mainly for fun and gifts,I have made some commisioned pieces,and have one lined up to be done by christmas