Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you square your blocks. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-square-your-blocks-t235964.html)

Zyngawf 12-03-2013 08:42 AM

Do you square your blocks.

Or maybe I should ask how many of you out there don't. why and what not.

tropit 12-03-2013 08:56 AM

Yes...it all helps to make a square quilt. Besides, I find the darndest mistakes when I take a second look at each block.

~ C

Tartan 12-03-2013 09:03 AM

I square all along the quilting process. An 1/8 of an inch here and there can add up across a quilt and cause distortions. I also need my tops to be as accurate as possible because it helps with my machine quilting. I need all the help I can get!

Milli 12-03-2013 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Zyngawf (Post 6436552)
Or maybe I should ask how many of you out there don't. why and what not.

Yes all the time makes my life easier!

tessagin 12-03-2013 09:10 AM

Ditto. Right from the start.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6436580)
I square all along the quilting process. An 1/8 of an inch here and there can add up across a quilt and cause distortions. I also need my tops to be as accurate as possible because it helps with my machine quilting. I need all the help I can get!

oksewglad 12-03-2013 09:24 AM

I never did until I started doing small blocks (1 to 1 1/2") and now it's just a good habit.

DogHouseMom 12-03-2013 09:26 AM

*Most* of the time ...

I define "squaring up a block" as using an actual ruler to make sure that the finished size is accurate. And most of the time yes, I square them up.

But the quilt I'm currently working on has 221 4.5" blocks. Am I going to take each one of these and plop them down on my 4.5" square ruler and square them up?? Probably not. I will probably *eye-ball* each of them as I am joining them to see if I need to fudge a seam. I'll join them in units of 4 and THEN I'll square them up with a ruler, then I'll join 4 of those units and square that up ... etc. Bear in mind with this quilt I am making 111 of one block and 110 of another - so I'm making 40 or 50 blocks at a time all chain pieced. So no, I am not stopping to square up each little block.

If I were making 200+ Dear Jane blocks ... I'd be making ONE block at a time and yes I would square each one up.

BellaBoo 12-03-2013 09:36 AM

I always square up the sewn pieces of the block before sewing the block and then square the block. I want my blocks to match up perfectly. I have learned if I have to ease or stretch blocks to fit, it never turns out to any good.

nygal 12-03-2013 09:42 AM

Yes, I do square my blocks. I want as few unplanned "surprises" as possible when I go to put the quilt top together!!:D

PaperPrincess 12-03-2013 09:43 AM

I usually do. Fabric stretches even if you starch, cut and sew accurately, so you sometimes need to do a bit of trimming (hopefully, you won't need to trim it bigger :D)