Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you Thangle?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-thangle-t109381.html)

Maggiesmom 03-21-2011 05:14 AM

Does anyone use Thangles when they quilt? I noticed the lovely BOM quilt posted and wondered if others had done BOM's or use Thangles.

Stitchnripper 03-21-2011 05:14 AM

I have used thangles. They came in a kit. They were okay. I don't know that I would buy them. I can make an acceptable half square triangle with other methods.

Lori S 03-21-2011 05:23 AM

I use them for really small HST. THere is a site that has a print out similiar so you can do your own for free. Sorry can't remember the site, maybe someone else can remember.

gal288 03-21-2011 05:28 AM

Just another item to spend money on and I would rather buy FABRIC! Plus I have EQ where I can print out paperpiecing templates if I need them, say for flying geese. I make my HST the quick piecing way, cutting out a large square, draw lines, and sew 1/4" each side of line and then cut on line. The next question you will have is how do I do this, right?I have to go through my files and find the formula, and will post it under tutorials.

cherylynne 03-21-2011 05:32 AM

Yes, I use them all of the time. They are quick , easy and accurate. Just bought "Trianglulations" for my computer, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm working on 4 BOM. (Civil War, Chestnut and Vine, primitive Calendar Girls, and Buck a Block with 30's fabric) I don't always finish in the proper month, but I am keeping up on most.

fabric_fancy 03-21-2011 05:43 AM

i can't stand them. they do not rip well from the fabric.

the paper is far to thick for paper piecing.

the LQS here does a buck a block BOM with thangles.

the casual quilter 03-21-2011 07:17 AM

I use them. You can also download HST triangle gridded paper to try the technique out. The site is: www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsquaretrianglepaper
Be sure that your printer prints exactly the size it says it's printing. Some printers don't print exactly and the preferences in the printer have to be adjusted.

bj 03-21-2011 07:18 AM

I like BOM's, I do my own versions in between projects. I'm doing one at the LQS and I've done a couple here on the QB. I've never tried thangles, though.

PJL 03-21-2011 07:23 AM

A LQS did a buck a block BOM quilt a few years ago and I signed up for it. I didn't care for using the Thangles but I really do like the accuracy I achieved with them. My blocks and the intersections were spot-on accurate. I didn't like the ripping the paper part though.

nycquilter 03-21-2011 08:12 AM

I hate spending money on something I can do quite as well. I just made 396 HST by drawing a set of squares (3x3) in a grid on the lighter fabric, drew the hypotenuses (hypoteni?) then sewed a quarter inch to each side of the hypotenuse, pressed, then cut apart and pressed open. It was pretty quick and the money I saved on thangles (paper to buy to throw out? Not my style) can be used elsewhere (think: fabric--woo hoo)