Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you think it's okay to use rayon thread to quilt a Project Linus quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-think-its-okay-use-rayon-thread-quilt-project-linus-quilt-t202277.html)

Prism99 10-04-2012 08:40 AM

Do you think it's okay to use rayon thread to quilt a Project Linus quilt?

It's my first Project Linus quilt and uber cute! :) I have a Sulky rayon thread (100% viscose) that would work well in terms of color, but I've read that rayon is not as strong as cotton or polyester and I've never quilted with rayon before. Will it be strong enough to stand up to the multiple washings for a Project Linus quilt? I don't have other colors on hand that would work, so it means a trip to the store if this isn't suitable.

Edit: Oh, and the pattern calls for straight-line quilting. Would a serpentine stitch be okay?

LadyElisabeth 10-04-2012 08:47 AM

You may use any "stitch" you want, it does not have to be a straight line. I've looked at hundreds of Project Linus blankets and they are sewn in almost every imaginable way.
Sulky thread is one of my favorites but would probably get poly for the project Linus quilt because they are washed many more times than most quilts.

Candace 10-04-2012 09:03 AM

No, rayon is not strong enough for a quilt that will be used and washed frequently.

Linsoblu 10-04-2012 09:42 AM

If I remember right they want only cotton thread used on their quilts for Kids.

Prism99 10-04-2012 12:09 PM

Thanks. I went out and got some other thread, as I don't want to take a risk with rayon (even though it's very pretty!).

Checked the instructions and they simply say "Use good quality thread (not clear mono-filament as it melts in dryer)".

BellaBoo 10-04-2012 12:19 PM

Rayon is fine but it will lose eventually lose it's color.

bjhumes 10-04-2012 12:24 PM

My husband and I hand stitched a 9 patch in New York while it was 60 below ZERO! I put blocks together on my machine, and tried to machine some on it...it's falling apart so I keep fixing it! I have it signed with our name, date and town we lived in as Montreal, Quebec was a local call for us. I got pre-cut rayon squares from a garment factory
remnant sale.....so it was done on the cheap. I may never use it so the kids can see it someday! I have photos of it on my FB and here. I wish we had done it in better material with more cotton in the blend.

ckcowl 10-04-2012 01:27 PM

rayon is an ok thread for machine embroidery- but not a good choice for quilting- you need either polyester, cotton or a cotton/poly blend for your quilts (people do use silk too-but not for donation quilts)

QuilterMomOf3 10-04-2012 01:49 PM

Thank you for posting this question. I appreciate any chance to learn new things, especially about quilting!!!

LadyElisabeth 10-04-2012 02:37 PM

Sometimes we forget that thread is almost as important as the fabric and batting. All of the supplies together can make a big difference in how long a quilt will last.