Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You Think That Modern Imported Sewing Machines Are So Disposable? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-think-modern-imported-sewing-machines-so-disposable-t309363.html)

Iona D. 01-22-2020 11:40 AM

Do You Think That Modern Imported Sewing Machines Are So Disposable?

My last Janome-made-Kenmore electronic assisted mostly mechanical sewing machine broke down last week right in the middle of putting together a small quilt top. It’s shy of me having it for 10 years this March. I replaced it with 2 new basic Janome completely mechanical ones from a big box store rather than attempt to repair it. The nearest Janome dealer is about 15 miles away. The last time I checked, they charge 50 dollars just to walk in, them it goes up very rapidly. It was hard to part with this machine. I always used to support either Sears or my local (only a short distance away) Generic Sewing Machine Repair Shop by bringing my sewing machines to them for tune ups and/or needed repairs. Sears no longer supports sewing machines like they used to (or even offer Kenmore Sewing Machines) and my generic local repair shop closed over a decade ago. Since then, I maintain and repair them myself with the help of the included instruction booklets and the Internet. If it’s more than I can handle or do myself…...I have to replace rather than repair.

I do this with every appliance or device I have now. I still remember the repair shops for every appliance or device in existence at that time lining up on the main streets where my parents, or later myself, lived. I also remember that the devices seem to be far more sturdy, reliable, and longer lasting than the plastic-y things that line the shelves and the web pages nowadays.

So my buying habits reflect this new reality. Both of the new sewing machines were bought from not only a big box store that offers a very generous long running 3 months return policy (in case the device is defected) I don’t need lessons-I was once a professional level designer/sewer & worked in the fashion industry for years before it was shipped overseas-or any hand holding beyond machine exchange or refund if it’s not working properly with little or no hassle beyond proof of purchase. Sometimes some of the dealers get a bit edgy when they are faced with a problem new machine. They might try to do a major tinkering around when the machine is simply a hugely defective lemon. They are now 100% mechanical
built with a vertical front loading metal bobbin instead of the more popular top loading drop in one. Too much problematic plastic and no way of making at home adjustments since it’s set at the factory. I do keep only one drop in top loading sewing machine now that’s only a electronic assist (i.e. a 1 step Buttonhole option) mostly mechanical model SP3201 device from the former Spiegel company . I bought it last year before Spiegel closed down probably forever. It’s a nice machine that I am now “retiring” it to simply only making buttonholes and/or more fancy stitches. The other ones are better for straight or zig-zag construction stitches workhorses that I prefer and use 99% of the time anyway.

So my question for all of you are as follows:
Do you use/own Mechanical, Electronic, or completely Computerize sewing machines no matter what brand?

Do you upgrade your sewing machines periodically for more options?

Do you prefer the basic sewing machines (like I do) or go for possibly hundreds of stitch options and features beyond basic construction needs?

The next time you are in the market for a new sewing machine, would you buy from a big box store or a independent dealer?

How do you visualize the future of the sewing machine and quilt making?

Thank all of you in advance!

patricej 01-22-2020 12:49 PM

I have bought machines from big box stores and from dealers.
i don't consider either category of machine to be "disposable."
how long they last depends mostly on how much they are used and whether or not they are properly cared for.
a machine becomes "disposable" only when the cost to service or repair it exceeds to cost to buy one that has all the same features or one that has more.

i have one friend who paid less than $60 for a very low-end machine.
it lasted her for at least 10 years.
another friend has a $198 machine (also big box) that's still sewing like a champ after 6 years.
i sold a $350 machine to a friend. i had used it for 5 years and she's had it for more than 6 months.
again ... still works like it just came out of the box.

i sold two "dealer grade" machines last year. each had been at or near the top of the brand's range.
one i bought in 2007, the other in 2013. i sold them because i had upgraded and wanted to cover some of the cost of the new machine. they both worked as well as they did when i bought them.

because i have become very spoiled and self-indulgent when it comes to my machines i will most likely always buy from dealers from now on. (fingers crossed it will be many years before i take that plunge again. lol) but, that's only because i won't find the operating features i now won't do without in a big box store.

the future of machines is what we demand.
the future of quilting is what we make it. :)

Jingle 01-22-2020 01:30 PM

I use one of two straight dtitch only machines. If need be I will replace them with exactly the same.

I can clean and keep them oiled as needed.

LRM 01-22-2020 02:51 PM

I have a vintage straight stitch, heavy duty mechanical only machine and I love it. I got it in the 70's as a Christmas present when i was a teenager. It still works of course, and has a beautiful stitch. I also have a 12 year old Bernina I would call electronic or lightly computerized. I love this machine!! I just bought a new Bernina - more computerized - although not TOL at all. It's lovely, but not sure if I like the more highly computerized "stuff." It tells me things I don't need it to tell me, lol and has a few weird quirks that are controlled by the computer. I have been having a little buyers remorse, but need to get over that.Maybe I just need time to adjust.

So i have one of each type of machine. I prefer more simple, basic machines. I do like to buy from a dealer so that I have help and service, but have used an independent repair person for my older machine. I'm not sure I'd buy from a big box store, but I would buy online through a dealer if the machine had good reviews.

LRM 01-22-2020 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 8353797)
I use one of two straight dtitch only machines. If need be I will replace them with exactly the same.

I can clean and keep them oiled as needed.

Jingle - what type of straight stitch machines do you have? Vintage? New?

tranum 01-22-2020 05:33 PM

I needed something from the Singer dealer (it’s now closed) and while talking with him, we discussed “Walmart sewing machines”. He opened the door to his back room to show me how many of those he had waiting for repair. He said those that can be fixed will cost more to repair than the machine cost and then there’s the others that haven’t a prayer to work again.

pennycandy 01-22-2020 06:21 PM

Do you use/own Mechanical, Electronic, or completely Computerize sewing machines no matter what brand?
Mechanical- all are vintage/antique dating from 1916 to 1990's.

Do you upgrade your sewing machines periodically for more options? No

Do you prefer the basic sewing machines (like I do) or go for possibly hundreds of stitch options and features beyond basic construction needs? Basic, learned my lesson with the machine I purchased in 1980. It had 11 stitches but I only used 3 on a regular basis. I have one sewing machine that I bought second hand that has 8 stitches, I only use it for the stretch stitches and buttonholes.

The next time you are in the market for a new sewing machine, would you buy from a big box store or a independent dealer? My first choice would be to find a vintage machine.

Onebyone 01-23-2020 06:17 AM

The last new machine I bought from Amazon. I used it for a week and couldn't bond with it and sent it back and got another model. No hassle. I've been happy with it. A dealer would never do that The same machine at the dealer was a little more expensive and no returns, The dealer said she gives free classes for the machine. I didn't need classes for the model and she knew I didn't but still would not agree to a return if I didn't like it. I have mechanical and computerized machines. Each have their place. I have several vintage Singers that I rarely use. They sew fine but no features that I am use to.

SusieQOH 01-23-2020 06:22 AM

I've had a Bernina 150QE since 2001 and it's never given me a problem. Last May I upgraded to a 770 QE because I wanted more features but I kept my old Bernina. I also have a mechanical Juki and a few old Singers that I love. I got my Juki on Amazon but it's the only one I bought from a big box store.
So to answer your question - I like both mechanical and bells and whistles!
I don't have a longarm because I really don't want one. If I need one I send a quilt to a longarmer, like a King size or something special.
I still have my first machine, a Kenmore that my parents bought me. I'll never part with it and it still works fine.

My Bernina dealer is fantastic about everything. I wouldn't buy from anywhere else.

ube quilting 01-23-2020 02:50 PM

I will never, ever buy a new computerized, plastic machine. I have one almost 30 yr old Bernina170 Artista that I love. Once it bites the dust I will be more than happy to continue my sewing on my GMs 1935 Kenmore, my 1951 featherweight and my treadle. I swear by my old mechanicals.