Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use fram or hoop to hand quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-fram-hoop-hand-quilt-t160591.html)

prairiequeen 10-17-2011 02:48 PM

I like that idea lfw045.

Toni-in-Texas 10-17-2011 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I use a lap hoop. But it isn't really necessary to use either a frame or a hoop - DH's grandmother doesn't use either, just quilts in her lap. I have found the hoop helps me, though.

I can't use a hoop and ended up giving mine away. The friend I gave it to loves it. I just quilt in my lap and I seem to have a lot more control and my shoulders don't get as tired.

biscuitqueen 10-17-2011 09:02 PM

I love to hand quilt but could never get the hang of a frame or a hoop.

AshleyR 10-18-2011 02:23 AM

I don't baste my quilts (take that, QP!)! I lay it out like I'm basting it, but I clamp it around the edges to hold it all good. Then I put it on the floor frame and quilt the center in the frame. Then I use the hoop for the rest of it. I enjoy the hoop best. If I don't use a hoop, I can't find my place. I would rather use a hoop than baste.

Carole Angel 10-18-2011 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
Interesting. I would have thought that those who use nothing would have been a slim minority. Didn't realize there were so many who didn't use a hoop or frame!

I agree, this thread has been very enlightening. I tried lap quilting and found it very easy around the edge of the quilt, but couldn't get the hang of it in the center of the quilt. I couldn't figure out how to keep the tension correct. How do you do that???

grandjan 10-18-2011 04:18 AM

When I hand quilt (which isn't too often these days) I use a hand hoop. I quilted for years with a frame but find the hoop is easier on my back. I guess it allows me to get into a more comfortable position.

lfw045 10-18-2011 05:58 AM

When I hand quilt, I always start in the middle of the quilt and work outwards. I don't use a hoop or frame.

Originally Posted by Carole Angel

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
Interesting. I would have thought that those who use nothing would have been a slim minority. Didn't realize there were so many who didn't use a hoop or frame!

I agree, this thread has been very enlightening. I tried lap quilting and found it very easy around the edge of the quilt, but couldn't get the hang of it in the center of the quilt. I couldn't figure out how to keep the tension correct. How do you do that???

KyKat 10-18-2011 06:03 AM

I use a lap hoop. It's a rectangle, 8" x 14", and I've done King size whole cloth quilts on it. (see avatar) It's all I use. And I have the quilt fairly tight so I don't quilt wrinkles into the quilt. Been doing it this way for many years.

SandraD 10-18-2011 06:27 AM

I do not use a hoop. I hand quilt all my quilts. I tried a hoop but had learned without one and just like it better. I think I may be odd man out though.

prairiequeen 10-18-2011 06:36 AM

SandraD you are not the odd woman out. It looks like about 60% hoop or frame and 40% not.