Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   do you use this quilting tool? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-quilting-tool-t198547.html)

lynndianne 08-25-2012 06:57 AM

My husband has a pile of "little pencils" also. He doesn't quilt but saves pencils. I think he names them because when one is missing he goes looking for it. Gets upset if he can't find it. Go figure.

Lynn

drgranny 08-25-2012 02:57 PM

I love little pencils. I don't use them to mark my quilting but I carry them in jacket pockets and my purse.

BSKTLOFR-QUILTER 08-25-2012 03:11 PM

You know there are trade offs ... math in head vs. sharpening pencils. I'll sharpen the pencils. :)

JudyTheSewer 08-25-2012 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by lynndianne (Post 5466470)
My husband has a pile of "little pencils" also. He doesn't quilt but saves pencils. I think he names them because when one is missing he goes looking for it. Gets upset if he can't find it. Go figure.

Lynn

HaHa! He sounds like a character that I would like! I am frugal so I use them until they won't work in my hand anymore and I have many this small size. I don't use them for quilting though, I use a mechanical pencil to get precision without all of the sharpening.

sylviak 08-25-2012 08:57 PM

Does your sweet pencil-packing DH do binding?? (MY most hated job!) I think doing all the cutting is really neat, but I'd definitely get a second pencil sharpener for upstairs, unless you just enjoy the excercise!

ptquilts 08-26-2012 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by sylviak (Post 5468222)
Does your sweet pencil-packing DH do binding?? (MY most hated job!) I think doing all the cutting is really neat, but I'd definitely get a second pencil sharpener for upstairs, unless you just enjoy the excercise!

He does the pattern making, cutting and most of the machine sewing. I do the hand sewing (quilting) and designing. So he will cut the binding strips and I sew them on.

The pencil sharpener is the old school kind that is mounted on the wall, in case everyone is wondering why I don't take it upstairs.

LOL at lynndiane and her DH!!

ckcowl 08-26-2012 02:54 AM

i can relate- i have a box on my table with a *bundle* of pencils that look just like that---i just keep them in the small box instead of rubber-banded together, but i use small pencils- use them til they are no longer *usable*...my (adult children) tell me all the time...pencils are cheap- but i seem to get attached to a good pencil- don't want to switch pencils til i absolutely have to...one of those...quirks :D

Just Me... 08-26-2012 03:30 AM

I use them a lot, but not the way your Hubs does! :)

MimiBug123 08-26-2012 04:56 AM

LOLOL! I would faint and fall in it if my precious hubby picked up any quilting tool, other than to ask what it is! If he would do my cutting, he could do it with a kitchen knife! Count yourself as one lucky girl!

Latrinka 08-26-2012 05:01 AM

Nope, haven't tried that one! LOL!