Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use scissors a lot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-scissors-lot-t19662.html)

Moonpi 05-02-2009 05:30 PM

I have an ancient pair of Weiss pinking shears I like for applique, and my regular Fiskars by the machine to snip threads and trimming off "ears".

Ninnie 05-02-2009 05:57 PM

Like the rest of you, I have a large selection of them, love my Ginghers. I use them a lot because they are weighted just right. No one touches my scissors, if they want to keep breathing! LOL

MollieSue 05-02-2009 06:15 PM

I used to have a pair of Ginghers..... Until my kids got them, cut God knows what with them, when they were younger. Now I just have cheapy pairs. Small & large, & grab whichever is closest, for snipping threads.

littlehud 05-02-2009 06:21 PM

I very seldom use my large scissors. I use my medium size ones for cutting fabric and batting and my little ones for snipping thread. The large ones are not comfortable for me to use.

BellaBoo 05-02-2009 06:36 PM

Here is how you test your scissors. Fold up a piece of cotton fabric into 8 to 10 layers. Using the scissors tip, snip through all layers of fabric about 1 inch deep. The scissors should cut smooth and easy through all layers on the first cut. I have only two pair of scissors that will do this. They are small size Fanmore scissors. My Ginghers will not do this.

Mousie 05-02-2009 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
Like the rest of you, I have a large selection of them, love my Ginghers. I use them a lot because they are weighted just right. No one touches my scissors, if they want to keep breathing! LOL

My sentiments exactly. To help family resist temptation, I bought enough 'el cheapos', to have a pair in every room in the house. We also have a calendar, scotch tape, and clocks, and phone, (except bathroom, lol,...but we do have portable phones, too)...with fibro. makes for less walking to get that tool, etc. or if you forget where you put the one, you were just using, LOL...me???? forget????....not m (hmmm, now, what was I saying?) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mousie 05-02-2009 07:02 PM

Fiskars makes a very good scissors sharpener. Was reccommended to me, by a lady that cuts fabric for a living. She was right.

rabbit2b 05-02-2009 07:13 PM

Wow--I hadn't heard about the Fiskars sharpener. How much does it cost and where do you get it??

I use a big pair of Fiskars for cutting batting. (Bought a spring-loaded pair that doesn't cut worth a dime for much of anything, and definitely not the batting.) Recently picked up a pair of Fiskars "Razor Edge" that I really love. Won't be using them for batting, just sort of odd jobs in the sewing room.

butterflywing 05-02-2009 07:42 PM

if they were expensive scissors, have them professionally sharpened.

okie3 05-02-2009 10:23 PM

This may sound strange but I have a pair of kitchen scissors that I use. They are nice and sharp and I keep them hid so no one else can use them. I use them when I'm cutting out applique pieces because they get the corners so well and will cut through several layers. I do have a pair of kitchen scissors that stay in the kitchen however. Then I've got paper only, scissors and then of course the thread ones and then all purpose. Everything else gets the rorty cutters. I started all this when the boys were still at home as they could ruin a good pair of material scissors for me right quick. So I learned to hid the good ones. :D :D
Connie