Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use sheets for backing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-sheets-backing-t194131.html)

tezell0801 07-09-2012 05:56 PM

Do you use sheets for backing?

The LAQ'er that I am taking my quilt to tomorrow suggested that I find a nice quilt to use for the backing. Well I found an awesome quilt (actually 2 different ones - I can't not make a decision,LOL) at Target. My quilt is twin size but it is a large twin, approximately 63 X 93. So I ended up buying a queen size sheet. I was afraid the full and twin would be too short- they said they were 96 length. Didn't seem like enough for quilting, plus wouldn't I need to cut off the top border (hem) on the flat sheet? So did I buy the right size and is this a good idea? The fabric pattern is awesome and matches beautifully.

jlm5419 07-09-2012 06:08 PM

I use sheets for backing quilts. It's easier, and in some cases much less expensive. Although, there are stores online that have extra wide cotton fabric for use as backing.

chairjogger 07-09-2012 06:12 PM

not lately.. the sheets are poor quality.. watch the thread count !! I have done this in the past, worked out well. even used sheet material for curtain material, or lining.. what is up with the sheets??? thin, nearly see through and ... will they wear or tear? dissappointed ! good luck !!
Ell

computrqueen 07-09-2012 06:12 PM

I use what I have - or I can find - sometimes sheets - I get alot of flack from some quilters however I look at it like "when you get a quilt from me it has the sheet and the blanket for warmth." I use the best quality I can get. I do both hand quilting and machine quilting...I have never had anyone who gets a quilt complain...I even sometimes use flannel - just do what I want :)

Shelbie 07-09-2012 06:22 PM

I use sheets all the time, both cotton and flannel. You do have to watch the quality and check the thread count. Some of the sheets at Walmart lately have had a very course weave and a low thread count (180). They are the ones that I don't bring home. I always buy the biggest sheet that I can and use the left overs to make a matching pillowcase or two. I found Dan River queen size flat sheets, 250 thread count made in USA at Len's Mills in Guelph Ontario (fabric, clothes, cleaning products, sheets, towels etc.) for $8.49. They are much better than the sheets made in Pakistan which are not consistently good quality.

newbee3 07-09-2012 06:27 PM

some laq's don't want sheets

Lori S 07-09-2012 06:42 PM

Most quilt fabric is a thread count of only 160. Going with a high thread count sheet for a backing , is not always a good idea. The high thread count sheets will no allow the needle to pass between the threads , and the needle will puncture the threads in the weave. One of the reasons LA pros do not like sheets is the high thread count.. it s harder for the needle to pass through ... and if they make a mistake and need to take out the stitches there will be holes , that will not dissappear completley.
Sheets can be a good choice.. choose an all cotton 200 thread count or less. I find a 180 thread count works wonderfully... but finding 180 thread count all cotton these days is not so easy.

Noiseynana 07-09-2012 06:54 PM

I use sheets as well. I don't buy new sheets though. I go to savers and Goodwill and see what they have. So far i've not been disappointed. I've also found silk sheets there for $3.00 for Queen size. Yea.....

Pickles 07-09-2012 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by computrqueen (Post 5352166)
I use what I have - or I can find - sometimes sheets - I get alot of flack from some quilters however I look at it like "when you get a quilt from me it has the sheet and the blanket for warmth." I use the best quality I can get. I do both hand quilting and machine quilting...I have never had anyone who gets a quilt complain...I even sometimes use flannel - just do what I want :)

This is what I do also works for me!!!

tezell0801 07-10-2012 05:08 AM

Thanks for your replies, I knew I could count on some really good answers here. My LAQ'er suggested the sheets, so she should be ok with it. The thread count is 225, hope that is ok! I go meet her today and take her my quilt. She says she will be done in about 2 weeks, I am so excited!!!! Then binding and done. Whoo Hoo. It will be hard to part with this first quilt, but I know my niece will love it too.