Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use a stabilizer when doing machine applique? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-stabilizer-when-doing-machine-applique-t10210.html)

bearpaw 08-14-2008 12:09 PM

I'm planning my next project and am going to attemp to do machine applique for the first time. Is it necessary to use tear away stabilizer? If you don't, does the background fabric get all bunchy?

Izy 08-14-2008 12:13 PM

Not if you fuse the applique in place, its very simple, use an open toe foot so you can see clearly where you are going, its great to do Bearpaw!! :D

mpspeedy 08-14-2008 12:16 PM

Hi,

I have learned the hard way to use some kind of stabilizer even if it is only tissue paper. You will be much happier with the finished product. If you are using a satin stitch on your applique it is essential unless the background fabric is very heavy. One method that solves two problems is to applique your project with the batting already on it. This works well for small projects. THe batting provides stability and the applique stitches do some of the quilting also. You can then put the backing on it later and do only a minimum amount of additional quilting.

Good luck

Skeat 08-14-2008 04:00 PM

actually for me bearpaw is yes...I have fabric get bunched up around an applique. If it is a smaller applique...it seems to be worse. I would imagine it is the small turn around on it:))I use the tear away and when you are done...it is flat as can be an no puckers anywhere. If I am doing wonder under and the appliq. is larger then say, my hand...I go w/it as is:))Hope that helps..SKeat

mgshaw 08-14-2008 08:10 PM

I always use a stabalizer but I just use plain ole paper! Some one on here said they iron freezer paper to the back, I havent tried that yet but sounds like a good idea!

Skeat 08-14-2008 08:19 PM

Paper???Boy do I learn something new everyday!! I will defin. have to try that!! Thanks for the tip!:0)Skeat

CissyQuilts 08-14-2008 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by mgshaw
I always use a stabalizer but I just use plain ole paper! Some one on here said they iron freezer paper to the back, I havent tried that yet but sounds like a good idea!

I have a friend who does tons of applique and she always uses freezer paper as a stabilizer. I've seen her work and it's amazing so the freezer paper must work.

gcathie 08-14-2008 09:39 PM

I just took a class a couple weeks ago and was told to us the tear away stabilizer not freezer paper or plain paper because it didn't afect the sewing seams as bad...course they might of wanted to sell the tear away....don't know but not taking the chance.....I was told to use a 60 wt. thread in the bobbin....hope this helps :shock: :roll: :D :wink: :?

bearpaw 08-15-2008 03:57 AM

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be using a stabilizer. Maybe I'll try the freezer paper, since I have some laying around.

Another question, have you ever used the invisible thread? On one of the quilting shows they used it in the bobbin as well. Just wondering how this works.

mamatobugboo 08-15-2008 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by bearpaw
Thanks guys, looks like I'll be using a stabilizer. Maybe I'll try the freezer paper, since I have some laying around.

Another question, have you ever used the invisible thread? On one of the quilting shows they used it in the bobbin as well. Just wondering how this works.

the few times I have done machine applique (not raw edge) I have used a stabilizer - once I used invisible thread and i found I definitely needed the stabilizer then because of the weight of the thread, way too easy to bunch of the fabric and leave it all puckered unless you use a thicker stabilizer!